Tuesday, April 03, 2007

bag lady, part 2 ...

You didn't believe me when I told you I was on a roll did you? Well as proof here is the bag I made the other evening. It is a very simple idea that is made from scrim and linen and just has cord threaded through eyelets for handles.

The fabric applique is just stuck on using heat'n'bond but I think I will stitch around the design with some embroidery thread - maybe just a simple running or back stitch.

It was inspired by these upmarket paper carrier bags .As far as the other bag goes, thank you for your helpful suggestions, as a result I cut out a piece of mountboard and covered it with some of the lining fabric. Hey presto with the board in the base of the bag it is suddenly far less saggy and looks a lot better.

The Easter holiday has now begun, as my son broke up from school today, after the yearly spectacle that is the Easter hat parade. It is a shame that the weather wasn't as gorgeous as it was yesterday. It was rather overcast as they paraded around the playground and the wind whipped a few hats from little heads.

We have nothing much planned for the rest of this week as I still have work but I am not working next week so we are heading off to Paris en famille. I can't wait I am so excited - a week off work and Paris - what more could a girl ask for?!

We are going via Eurostar and because we booked it quite late it is actually cheaper for us to go out on their Leisure Select ticket which is akin to First Class. The Standard fare was more expensive how weird is that? but it means we will start the trip in style.

But can I send out a plea for help? I have a few ideas of places I would like to go to and things I would like to see but does anyone have any ideas of things to see and do with a 7 year old boy? Any and all ideas will be most appreciated.

10 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

Have a wonderful, wonderful trip! I'm sure N. will love it too (enough chocolate crepes will guarantee enjoyment of just about anything I find).

Your bag is tres jolie (just getting you into holiday mode here...)

April 03, 2007 6:32 pm  
Blogger Katie Jean said...

Oh my, Paris? I'm so jealous, I've never been before! I have always wanted to go too!! I'm sure you'll have a fantastic trip.

love the bag too, it's simple and beautiful~

April 03, 2007 7:13 pm  
Blogger Angel Jem said...

Yes! The Musee D'Orsay is the most child-friendly of the galleries; look out for the Polar Bear by Mr Pom Pom & if you can spare the £6.00 it costs treat him to the picture book on "My Little Orsay" It is a book for younger children, but it gives them all something to search for. Go to Sacree coeur on the funicular railway... the view is spectacular! Also, when you get to the top there are loads of steps to run back down. A bateau mouche is fun, but travelling is even more fun by the red open topped tourist buses. A ticket can be bought for two days & it runs on a circular route past all the monuments which gives him a chance to decide what he'd like to look at. Play Quasimodo in Notre Dame, but mind the inevitable tourists, the best playground area I've seen is in the Jardins de Palais de Luxembourg & the Pantheon is an impressive BIG space with lots of "interesting" people buried there, big friezes telling the story of St Genevieve & Alexander Dumas' grave, hence lots of little musketeers to buy. Hey, you have to buy a souvenir, so why not make it educational and fun! Hope these suggestions are some use. Bon voyage !

April 03, 2007 10:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no idea about a 7 year old boy...but for you...this place is a must Entrée des Fournisseurs in the Marais district. http://www.entreedesfournisseurs.com/index_gb.htm

And i don't know what you are talking about with your granny squares - they look fab to me! love the colours.

April 03, 2007 11:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha - we did Paris with a nearly three year old boy and it wasnt that easy as he is a food phobic, so my first tip would be to look out for restaurants during the day when you are out and about so you don't end up walking around for an hour every night like we did! The Musee D'Orsay was good - very spacious with lots to look at. We didn't go there, but the Pompadou centre is apparently great - spacious and the outside escalators are fun. We liked Montmatre and the steps and railway up to it are great for children - the view at the top is amazing. The Eiffel tower and Louvre pyramid are good things to cross off the touristy list. Lastly, don't turn your nose up, but we did a day at Disneyland - it only takes about 20 minutes by train. We were dreading the mass consumerism, but ended up having a good time. It was out of school time though, so I don't know what it will be like during the Easter holidays.
Oooh, one more thing. Visit Collette (www.collette.fr) - it's an amazing shop. Have a good time!

April 04, 2007 8:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the bag, will you take it to Paris to swan down the Champs Elysee?!I agree with Angel Jem about the furnicular railway at the Sacre Coeur. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time, Paris in the Spring * sigh*

April 04, 2007 8:23 am  
Blogger Original Ting said...

There's a great Dali museum in Montmarte which you could pop into if you're going up to Sacre Coeur. It's just a few small rooms but plenty to see so it won't be too overwhelming for a young child. I love it - i always have to pop in there whenever I go to Paris. It's slightly outrageous that you have to pay to get into the Louvre or the d'Orsay - I guess I've been spoilt by all the free art you get here in London.

April 04, 2007 10:24 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh that bag is beautiful, I love the simple colours and the applique, perfect and will look oh so very chic in Paris.

Have a fabulous time in Paris, I am most envious.

April 04, 2007 8:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE linen, gorgeous bag. Paris with 7 year old, have a wonderful magic time.... I found going up the Eiffel Tower stunning, really hi and scarey, perfect for a boy!

www.irishcraftworker.typepad.com

April 06, 2007 9:31 pm  
Blogger Feltbug said...

If you go right to the top of the Pompidou Centre there is the most amazing view over Paris - and its fun going up the escalators - also the fountains outside with Niki de Saint Phalle sculptures are great to see.

April 08, 2007 1:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home