Saturday, March 31, 2007

mary, mary ...

my name may not be Mary but I can be quite contrary and thank you for asking my garden is growing beautifully.

Instead of silver bells and cockle shells I have daffodils in full flower and tulips getting ready to make their appearance.
The lilac is coming into bud, as is the jasmine and I can't wait until they flower they have the most gorgeous scent. I have also bought three blueberry bushes which may fruit this year - fingers crossed. I love blueberries so much but they are pricey at the supermarket and anyway you can't beat homegrown. We should hopefully also have some strawberries this year although one of the plants has perished.

And on their windowsill nursery the tomato seedlings are doing nicely. They are tumbling varieties that I can put into pots rather than a gro-bag and they don't need complicated pinching out. I have also decided to try growing tomatillos as I have never found anywhere to buy the fruit, either tinned or fresh and they make a fantastic Mexican salsa verde.

Hopefully the summer will also see the sweet peas, zinnia and nicotiana flowering just like pretty maids all in a row.

I grandly call it a garden but really it is just a yard which measures about 8 meters by 5 meters. There are no lawns just a small paved area with raised brick beds which get crammed full of plants and there are a myriad of pots everywhere. We are lucky to have an outdoor space and our south facing haven gets the full glow of the summer sun (when it isn't raining). The ideal place to sit in the summer, drink a cold beer, listen to the bees buzzing and enjoy all the hardwork we put in during the spring.

5 Comments:

Blogger Navel Gazer said...

Oh, I love that it's spring in the UK. Here in Singapore we don't have any seasons so we don't experience this awakening. Thank you, you have brightened my day.

April 01, 2007 12:16 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love when things start to grow, everything is beginning to swell up here too, so exciting, so good to be outside again.

Good to see another review of the Simple Sewing book, my fingers are taking me off to Amazon now....

April 01, 2007 2:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yah for spring! It is so refreshing to see new life emerging

April 03, 2007 12:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The garden looks great! It's so nice to grow things. The blueberry plants are a great idea!

April 03, 2007 4:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, pretty pretty! Love the spring season...

April 04, 2007 9:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home