Wednesday, February 14, 2007

cakes and hearts ...

where on earth does the time go? don't worry a purely rhetorical question but honestly where does it go?

My sister paid us a whistle stop visit on Sunday afternoon - so we had cake (as you do).


But not just any cake. I finally got around to making some cupcakes from the Magnolia Bakery recipe book that she brought back from New York a couple of years ago. I had flicked through the book,whilst my mouth watered, but never actually used any of the recipes. Sunday morning I was measuring and mixing up a storm. I decided to make the vanilla cupcakes and ice them with the vanilla buttercream which is alright in small measures but is rather sweet. And I didn't even add all the sugar suggested.

Anyway, it being St Valentine's day it only seems appropriate to leave you with a picture of a heart. A felt heart not made for Valentine's day but rather for a birthday. My nephew's 5th birthday is this weekend and he has a thing for hearts. He has a mini wire tree in his bedroom which he hangs them on for display.

Whilst making that heart I also made a couple of felt heart (or should that be heart felt?) brooches for no reason just the heck of it.

I am really enjoying the spontaneity of working with felt - I see much more of it on the horizon. But I would like to try using 100% wool felt rather than the wool/acrylic blend I'm using at the moment.

13 Comments:

Blogger weirdbunny said...

I love the heat brooch, lovely colours. The pompoms on the big heart are cool too. Oh by the way I love vanilla butter icing you can never put too much on a fairy cake !!

February 14, 2007 11:17 pm  
Blogger Soo said...

what lovely hearts.....the cupcakes look yum too!

February 15, 2007 1:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the pom pom trim on that heart!
(a 5 yo boy who loves hearts - sweet!)

February 15, 2007 3:51 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh wow, cakes and hearts, how lovely. The brooch is so very pretty Caroline, I would be very glad to wear something like that. I have just been given a huge bag of brooch backs which I must put to use soon. Seeing yours has given me lots of inspiration.

I am a lover of felt too but find it hard to get hold of the 100% wool stuff. I get small sheets from Myriad but would really like to get hold of some by the metre stuff in pretty colours.

February 15, 2007 3:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know where to get the 100% wool felt? I would also like to try it.

February 16, 2007 2:21 pm  
Blogger jennpal said...

the heart is very pretty and the cupcakes look exactly like magnolia. I've always wanted to make them but never got around to buying the book.

February 16, 2007 7:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have found that with most us recepies you have to almost halve the sugar quantities. I would also like to find some nice felt if you hear of any let me know. I will do likewise.

February 17, 2007 12:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those cupcakes look yummy! I enjoy working with felt too and you can get such great colours now.Love the brooch

February 18, 2007 7:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those hearts are just lovely.

To the boy who loves hearts 'you don't know how cool you are!

February 18, 2007 9:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I have that exact book and, like you, just look and drool but not bake yet! Even though I have used every other book I have something just stops me with this one. They look delicious though and the felt hearts are lovely

February 19, 2007 1:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely hearts! I love the pompoms, they look great. Have you tried doing your own felt? I buy jumpers (100% wool) from the charity shop, cut it up and then stick it in the washing machine with a pair of jeans. Put washing powder in and cook it on a hot wash. It can be hit and miss sometimes, but I have had some lovely results and you get great 100% wool felt. Jumble sales are better for buying as you can get jumpers for about 20p!

February 20, 2007 4:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The felt brooches are just lovely and I like the idea of the pompoms on the side of the big one.

I prefer to use 100% wool felt too and get mine from Myriad. However, as you know I've been dyeing old blankets and although they're thicker than felt they are really nice to use. Plus you get better colours by dyeing it yourself. You don't have to use natural dyes as I did - Dylon is fine. Just cut the blanket up into smaller pieces and dye it. You'll have so much of the stuff you won't be saying I need felt for ages!

BTW the best felt I ever had was some plant dyed stuff from Germany. Soft colours, beautiful texture and feel but it wasn't cheap. Might call my friend in Germany and ask her where she got it from now you've reminded me.

One more thing - sorry to go on - I could send you some of my plant dyed scraps of blanket if you want to make small hearts.... I sold most of it at christmas but have small bits left.

February 21, 2007 11:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Felt is very addictive isn't it! How about making your own?

www.irishcraftworker.typepad.com

February 28, 2007 3:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home