Sunday, January 28, 2007

by jove ...

I think she's got - no, not the ability to annunciate "The Rain in Spain" with perfect diction but rather the ability to crochet.


Yesterday afternoon was spent concentrating on the photos in a crochet book and working at it until my fingers hurt but it suddenly just clicked. It felt fantastic. I think the big difference was using a bamboo hook rather than a metal one and going for a larger size (5 mm). It just made it easier to manipulate the yarn. I used an old Rowan cotton I had lying around, the paper wrapper disappeared long ago so I can't tell you exactly what it is.

I have to confess that it is by no means perfect. I seem to gain stitches and lose stitches all over the place and as for tension well just forget it. As for the stitches themselves I have only really figured out slip stitch and double crochet. I still need to practice triple although I think it only means wrapping the yarn more times around the hook? Half and double triple are still a complete mystery to me.

Also I still haven't got to grips with what to hold with what hand. The hook is easy I hold that with my right hand but it is the wrapping the yarn around particular fingers of your left hand whilst holding the worked crochet with your left hand too that has me feeling like I am all finger and not enough thumbs. But I am so pleased that it has 'clicked' and I have made a start.

On the spur of the moment, today involved a quick trip into the last day of the Liberty sale to see what bargains I could find in the fabric department. Sadly, there was a lot of jersey and only a little Tana Lawn. In the end I bought some fine corduroy which I think I will turn into tote bags.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations!
a skill i've yet to try.

January 28, 2007 11:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Learning to crochet has been on my to do list for some time. Reading your account brought back memories of learning to knit and the inexplicable increases and general wonkiness I found so vexing in the beginning. Do I really want to go through that again? Yes, I think I really do want to learn to crochet this year. Congratulations on making it over the hurdle!

January 29, 2007 4:38 am  
Blogger Angel Jem said...

Well done! Crochet isn't too bad, is it? I love the fact you've only got one stitch on the needle at a time to lose. I learnt a few years ago, and it's quite fun to do.

January 29, 2007 7:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to be able to crochet too. My Mum used to do it. I inherited a massive beautiful kind size bed spread she croched. I remember her making diamond for it through my entire childhood!

January 29, 2007 11:21 am  
Blogger Ali said...

I'm always impressed at the conquering of a new craft skill!

And Liberty cord sounds like it will make wonderful bags.

January 29, 2007 2:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, great job.

January 29, 2007 4:22 pm  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Well done you, crochet is also on my list of things to learn this year (along with learning to drive! - I wonder which one I will master first!?!)

January 29, 2007 8:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home