Wednesday, January 03, 2007

quilts ...

While I was at my parents' over Christmas I read an interesting article in my mum's copy of 'Country Living' magazine. It was all about Lynne Edwards and her quilts. I had always, quite wrongly, thought that Lynne was an American quilter so it was a surprise to read all about her quilting life in Suffolk.

Anyway, the article prompted me to take out a couple of her books from the library. I admire her attention to detail and am totally with her on the meditative qualities of hand quilting. And whilst my current personal taste in patchwork may be different, think Denyse Schmidt and Kaffe Fassett, her techniques and knowledge leave me with a lot to learn and plenty of ideas to explore.

Whilst I was at my parents' I also took the opportunity to take some photos of the quilts I made for my mum. They are some of my earliest quilts and very traditional in their demeanour.

I just love it when something prods you out of a fallow period. All this has made me think more about quilting and has rekindled some ideas I have had. Talking of quilting I am loving Monica's placemat so bright and cheery and full of the promise of Spring. And Rebecca has finished her beautiful Swedish inspired quilt. And don't forget Flibbertygibbet's Strip Swap which closes this Friday

Good news, the antibiotics appear to be working and I feel a trifle more human today - thank you very much for all your well wishes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

I love both the quilts, but the 16 patch in two colors is just lovely. makes me want to toss aside all my crazy big complex quilt ideas and try something simple for a while.

January 03, 2007 11:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny I flicked through that copy of Country Living at someone's house and saw the same article. Like you I was surprised that she was in the UK.

I do love your quilts - they're lovely and I like the colour combinations too. On another note hope you're getting better. I'm just coming out of flu and it's been a pig but it kept us all quiet and housebound and that was no bad thing.

January 04, 2007 12:53 pm  
Blogger Flibbertygibbet said...

Hope the lurgy has disappeared now!

Thanks for mentioning the swap - tomorrow I'll be cutting up little pieces of paper and doing the draw - hurrah!

January 05, 2007 9:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home