Sunday, December 03, 2006

as promised ...

well I mentioned last time that I had been working on my Christmas card ideas and after much umm-ing and ahhh-ing this is it...

Originally I had been toying with a snowman design and using the orange ink for his carrot nose but everything changed and I decided to create an angel.

At least then it has some religous roots and remains a little truer to the Christmas message. But before you all think I have become holier than thou, my son has a chocolate advent calendar.

Yesterday, I made a trip 'up town' into central London to try and make a start on my Christmas shopping. I had very limited success. It was incredibly busy despite getting in early and attempting to escape early. I hadn't realised that Oxford Street and Regent Street were closed off to traffic that day as part of a grand Christmas shopping frenzy.

There was music and singing, street performers and all sorts of things going on along the lengths of both streets. I luckily came across a lady giving away free Krispy Kreme donuts just as my blood sugar levels were giving out.

Somethings I did get though were felt - for those little mice and ric-rac for adding to presents. I also got a dress for a soiree (sounds far more grown-up and sophisticated than party) I am going to on Friday evening.

But you know what put a smile on my face - my bus home - it was a Routemaster. Routemasters, for those that don't know, were the quintessential London bus that have been decommissioned over the last couple of years and replaced with modern buses. These modern buses are noiser, less comfortable, over-heated and provide no joy to me whatsoever. After a hard day shopping the thought of getting on one of those confounded new buses filled me with dread. So to find a Routemaster heading my way was like the gods were (finally) smiling on me - oh, and it was free, yes free. These guys were offering the service as a free art bus. I had a wonderful journey home.

On a different note, I really must update my links side bar. I have been discovering so many wonderful blogs recently that I would love to share. In the meantime here is a small list of finds which is by no means exhaustive.

willowhouse
irish craft worker
bigbucketgirl
anna maria horner
sweet nellie
lazy lol

there are so many more - I must, must, must update the sidebar.

And finally, a message for Martina. I get my Martha from the Chocolate Box newsagent, 131 Lower Richmond Road, SW15. They only ever have a couple of copies and I noticed on Saturday they had none but I am sure they could order copies for you or your local newsagent may be able to.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I do like your angel. She reminds me a little of the logo for 'The Saint' - now there's a blast from the past!

And central London in December. You're a brave woman.

December 03, 2006 9:04 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Gorgeous angel!

December 03, 2006 11:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmm..... krispy kreme.......
(drool)

didn't know they had them in the uk!

December 04, 2006 3:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your angel is gorgeous, especially the orange halo!!!

December 04, 2006 11:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thankyou for the link!
I was catching up with your blog and I noticed the Persephone books. I love some of those...the last one I read was The Homemaker by Dorothy Canfield. What ones are you hoping for in your stocking?

December 05, 2006 12:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your carving!! if you belong to flickr you should post it in the group

http://www.flickr.com/groups/28928217@N00/

December 05, 2006 6:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really need to update my sidebar to - I'm hoping to get around to it in the Christmas hols if I can get on the computer! Glad to hear that some of those old buses are still running, you definetly need a bit of comfort and nostalgia on the way back from fighting the crowds Christmas shopping - even if you did get free Krispy Kremes!

December 05, 2006 10:49 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh she is lovely, they will make lovely cards.

I braved the Manchester shops on Monday, nightmare....

December 06, 2006 8:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is lovely. Is that lino cutting? How do you do it, where can I get the bits n bobs I need to have a go? I've always wanted to try.

December 07, 2006 10:41 pm  
Blogger dee said...

ok I give up, where can I get a chocolate advent calendar?

December 07, 2006 11:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your angel!!

December 10, 2006 11:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home