Friday, November 17, 2006

the mitt...

I finished the oven mitt this afternoon. The scanner worked a treat, especially when ably handled by my husband. I decided to bind the edge of the mitt rather than add the pom-pom trim suggested in the Denyse Schmidt book. I had visions of the pom-poms melting and causing horrible burns when near a hot oven.

So now the apron and mitt can be wrapped up and sent off. They were originally going to be a Christmas gift but they are now going to be a birthday present.

The weather has become very wild and woolly - the perfect weather for battening down the hatches and get on with knitting projects (I still have to finish Florence) or hand quilting (my 'Ice Pops' quilt also needs to be finished). It is also a good opportunity to browse through the book catalogues that arrived recently.

There are a few Persephone books that I have earmarked as perfect Christmas presents and the same with Eland books catalogue. Of course the hope is that a couple might make their way to me in turn

11 Comments:

Blogger Lauri said...

I love the colors on the apron and mit! I made a mit from the Denyse Schmidt pattern also, but I think the thumb looks funny...kinda nubby. lol! I'm going to make another one with a longer thumb.

November 17, 2006 9:36 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Great oven mitt - it turned out really well.

November 17, 2006 10:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE IT! i agree with the trim - good fire-safe choice!

November 17, 2006 11:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to the book website. I have just had a peak and the covers look amazing - do you have any recommendations for books to order?

November 18, 2006 9:12 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh it has turned out beautifully, a lovely present, I am sure the recipient will be delighted. I do think it was wise to avoid the pompoms though, I have enough trouble just setting fire to the corners of teatowels nevermind pom poms.

November 19, 2006 6:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mitt is fab - I keep thinking about making these as pressies - but they look a bit complicated for me - and unless something can be cut and sewn in one evening I am afraid I lose interest - my terrible failing!

November 19, 2006 8:43 pm  
Blogger createacraft said...

love the colours..
I was postponing doing a kitchen miten for myself.. now.. I can't wait any more..
thanks for the inspiration..

November 20, 2006 6:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gorgeous present. beautiful fabric.

I tried the mitt too but the thumb looked funny on my one too.

November 21, 2006 2:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely work! I would love to try making one, one these days...
Your fabric choice is lovely.

November 22, 2006 4:59 am  
Blogger Blogging Masterclass said...

what a great job, impressive!

November 23, 2006 4:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the oven mitt - lucky recipient and I do so envy you going on a routemaster. I used to take the No 19 from Picadilly Circus to Battersea when I lived and worked in London but the No 19 soon became the 219 or something and the poor old routemaster stopped at Battersea Bridge and then disappeared. It reminds me of Summer Holiday with Cliff when they travel on an old bus to Europe.......

December 06, 2006 1:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home