Tuesday, October 31, 2006

wooooo ...

Happy Halloween

My son has just gone trick or treating with a friend from school and his mum. They are just going around to friends' houses where they know they will be welcomed. I remember Hallowe'en being quite a big thing when I was little. We carved pumpkins, bobbed for apples, dipped, face first, for a sweet placed on a pile of flour and generally scaring ourselves silly by turning the lights off and making spooky noises. My mum is Scottish and I think maybe that is where we got the habit of celebrating from - certainly nobody around us really celebrated. The Irish side of my family celebrated too by having barmbrack. A sort of fruit cake/bread that contained fortune telling charms - a penny, a ring, those sort of things. I can't remember what they all were or indeed what luck each was supposed to impart.

Good news...my little laptop is home! Yesterday I had to go into central London for some training and whilst there I got a message saying it was ready to collect. So a couple of hundred pounds later (I know, I know) here he is back home.
Whilst up in town I took the opportunity to spend some more of my earnings. John Lewis to get a Built by Wendy blouse pattern. Then on to Liberty to get some fabric to make it from. Oh and then finally Charbonnel and Walker to get a scrumptious box of choccies (quick tip, it is cheaper to buy these boxes from Lakeland Limited!)

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

We did some apple bobbing and lights off scaring here too, I think we had as much fun as the children. No trick or treating though, Dylan really wanted to and we had to point out that we really don't have any neighbours. In our old village there was a great tradition of trick or treating.

Glad to hear you are reunited with your computer and will be interested to see what you do with the Built by Wendy pattern, I've been considering one myself.

October 31, 2006 8:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think the ring is to find a mate and get married and the penny was to have fortune in money and finances we did some things like that as a kid too.

October 31, 2006 9:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i need to get me some of those wendy patterns - can't wait to see how that turns out.

October 31, 2006 10:17 pm  
Blogger Soo said...

Patterns, fabric and chocolate....can't think of a better way to spend your hard earned pay!!!

November 01, 2006 12:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too love Charbonnel and Walker. The champagne truffles are wonderful. I buy them just to keep the pink box! Thank you for the Lakeland Ltd tip.

November 01, 2006 4:07 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Mmm Liberty. I remember the excitement of seeing all the fabrics in a row in there.

November 01, 2006 11:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home