Wednesday, October 04, 2006

here be dragons ...

I have decided to leave the dress for this evening. As I felt myself getting frustrated with the collar band I decided it best to put it aside. I have been doing bits and pieces on it now for a couple of days determined not to rush it and bodge it.

Before I started sewing I decided I should really clean my machine. Now this is something I very rarely do as the pile of lint that came from various parts can testify.
I changed the needle, making sure I used the correct size for my fabric (something I don't think I have ever done). Hopefully you can tell I am taking this seriously.

As I had decided to bind the seams I made some binding from the same fabric that will line the skirt. Luckily I twigged it doesn't have to be bias binding so hurrah no cutting cross grain.

Next I read and re-read the instructions to try and get a good grasp of the details. I laid out all the pieces in their place so I could get a good overview.
I would love to claim that I am always so meticulous but all of this is because I have never made a dress before. Over the years I have made about a half dozen skirts, a couple of shirts, one night shirt, four aprons of varying designs but no dress. So I feel as if I am in slightly uncharted territory and like any good explorer I am travelling prepared and cautiously.

And what to do with the skirt lining - do I sew it separately and insert it at the waistband or do I sew it with the skirt pieces so they share the same seams? Both have there merits and I can't decide which would be best. Any advice would be most appreciated.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh don't ask me for pattern advice - I was stumped by a sewing for dummies apron! Ten out of ten to you for self control though - I am a terrible rusher and bodger.

October 04, 2006 10:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so sorry i can't help! it looks good to me! i should have my mom read this...

October 05, 2006 2:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its better to sew the lining and the skirt seperately - I have found that when I sewed them together they make one bulky seam that sometimes puckers

October 05, 2006 4:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sewing skills are a bit rusty lately but I think kirsty's advice makes sense.
Can't wait to see the dress when it's done - I love that style!

October 05, 2006 9:41 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

My inclination would be to sew the lining separately to avoid the bulky seams but I would love to know the proper way to do this and will be interested to see what route you follow and your thoughts on it.

October 05, 2006 12:01 pm  
Blogger A home sewn, recycled,vintage life said...

As with all dressmaking there is the professional way and the cheats way, the cheat being my weapon of choice. However I would advise you go down the prof. route and sew it into the waistband and put stitches attaching the seam of the lining and dress. Provided the lining is the same size as the main fabric you should not have any pluckering. If you want I will be more than happy to send you a photocopy of a page from one of my sewing books, it shows you in 4 steps, judging by your past experience it will be a piece of cake.

October 05, 2006 2:26 pm  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Looking at your pile of lint makes me wonder how much lint is lurking in the depths of my sewing machine.

I can't wait to see the dress!

October 05, 2006 6:13 pm  
Blogger Ferret said...

I like making skirts with the lining sewn to the outers. It does give thicher seams, but it can also give nicely finished seams.
Alternatively you could make them seperate and sew them together at the hem before attaching to the top of the dress. I hate hems with a pasion but I am pretty good at pressing so this cheat works well for me.

BTW, what sewing machine do you have, the parts look very familiar. We have a range of Brother sewing machines here.

October 06, 2006 2:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home