Thursday, September 21, 2006

a sigh of relief ...

The coat is finally finished. There was one major problem. The sleeve circumference was too narrow for the girth of the machine flatbed even after I had taken the extra bit off to make it narrower. This meant I had to hand sew the sleeve ribbons on which was a real faff but at least I could machine the ribbon to the hem otherwise I think I would dumped it in the bin. I also changed the buttons to something more appropriate - God is in the detail don't you know.

I also made a ribbon brooch with some of the remaining ribbon. I felt the collar area needed a little embellishing but didn't want to trim it in ribbon I think it would have made it look too much like a blazer. I haven't christened the coat yet as the weather is way too warm for a coat at the moment. Long live this glorious Indian Summer - the coat can wait.

The table mat arrived safely and you can see pictures off all the mats, as they arrive, over on Anna's Flickr site.

The postman also brought me a package from Simmy - I am going to have fun sorting out my fabric. Simmy had organised her fabric using comic book boards and she very kindly sent me some. Talking of organising fabric, I invested in several small plastic boxes to store my fabric scraps. Those fiddley tiny bits that don't store nicely but you just can't throw away.

OK so they aren't quite the wonderful metal bins Denyse Schmidt has, which it would be my dream to have, but they do their job.

Anyway roll on next project .... focus, Caroline, focus.

10 Comments:

Blogger createacraft said...

this coat is a '' grey day enlightener''.. every woman should have one.. the flower.. and the edging look very proportionated..
I love it.. in turkish we say.. wear it laughing.. enjoy..
the plastic boxes are see through.. more practical for storing.. but I like the tin ones as well..
whtat is the next project..??

September 21, 2006 2:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

caroline - your coat turned out great- it is pretty! and i love the brooch - i might have to copy that one... :)

September 21, 2006 2:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you can wear the coat when we meet instead of carrying a carnation!

It looks totally fantastic and enormously expensive - the ribbon flower is the perfect finishing touch. I'm amazed you aren't wishing for the cold days to arrive.

September 21, 2006 2:22 pm  
Blogger beki said...

Oh my, the coat is stunning! WOW! And the ribbon brooch is too cute. I love stuff like that.

September 21, 2006 2:28 pm  
Blogger Flibbertygibbet said...

That's just fabulosa! I don't suppose you have enough stuff to make another brooch and would consider a wee swap...

September 21, 2006 3:03 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

The coat is fabulous. Great job! Love the ribbon flower.

September 21, 2006 3:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing coat I wouldn't even know where to start!
I got some backing boards today too.Can't wait to get sorting!

September 21, 2006 4:27 pm  
Blogger Tammy Gilley said...

LOVE, love, love the embellishments! I'd wear this coat in a heartbeat!!

September 22, 2006 1:08 am  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Love the flower brooch - very pretty!

September 28, 2006 11:23 am  
Blogger Jessica said...

i like your new organizing approach. I've got something similar, but the bins are slightly bigger which makes them heavy and tough to get off the top shelf where I have them stored. oh well, thanks for the inspiration.

September 30, 2006 1:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home