Thursday, September 14, 2006

anniversaries and other milestones ...

Yesterday was my 10th Wedding Anniversary. I can't believe it was ten years ago that we got married - Friday 13th September 1996, Westminster Registry Office - the years really have flown by (a cliche, I know, but so true). Last night we didn't go out for a meal, as my husband's work is all consuming at the moment, but we did enjoy a takeaway and bottle of fizz. We were also treated to the most amazing lightening display last night - I love thunder and lightening.

Ten years ago we had big plans to celebrate this anniversary in Hawaii, where we had our honeymoon. How I would love to be eating here and here, partaking of retail therapy here, buying the obligatory shirt from here, climbing this and being truly astounded by this place. May be for our 15th?

Also yesterday, my son had his first swimming lesson with school. He came home chatting excitedly about it so I think that was a milestone successfully passed.

The final milestone - I've reached 50! I have only just realised that my last post was my 50th - yay to me for actually sticking at something. I am quite bad at starting things and then not persisting with them so I am suitably impressed with myself. I know it is early days but I do enjoy blogging. I like thinking about what I am going to post, taking pictures and negotiating Blogger (at times easier said than done). I think if it ever felt like an obligation then I would stop but having said that I do have pangs of guilt if I don't post for a couple of days. I love being part of this community that offers wonderful advice and support and loads of fantastic ideas. I love connecting with people from all over the world. This list could go on and on but I think that is quite enough blog gushiness.

This book arrived today and on first glances it is everything I hoped it would be.

It seems to cover everything in a clear and logical way. Starting with the equipment you need and how to use it, to the different types of fabric and what to choose. Then on to patterns and how to understand them and adapt and customise them. I think I will have to sit down quietly this evening and look through it properly.

Tomorrow I plan to go to VV Rouleux on a ribbon mission and then on to search for fabric. I really want to find some Viyella or Clydella fabric to make up the brown dress on the right.

The Viyella factory shop used to be just round the corner from my parents' home and you could often find fabric as well as clothing seconds. I didn't really appreciate it then but boy how I wish it was still there, as it is so hard to find Viyella fabric these days.

I think the dress would be lovely in a wool/cotton blend. I could wear it with thick wintery tights and even with a polo neck underneath it. As you can probably tell my thoughts are turning to Autumn and scuffing through piles of leaves. Luckily, I may have found a source for the fabric ...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on all your milestones, 10 years goes by too fast doesn't it?

September 14, 2006 8:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniverary and 50th post!

That dress pattern looks great - can't wait to see what fabric you find. Also v. envious of your ability to pop to VV Rouleux - I've never been (sad but true).

September 14, 2006 10:11 pm  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Happy anniversay and 50th post! I am hoping to get to the 50th soon!

September 14, 2006 10:20 pm  
Blogger Soo said...

Happy Anniversary and on your 50th post! Good luck on your ribbon and fabric hunt - what a great way to celebrate!

September 15, 2006 2:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A wedding anniversary and a 50th post celebrated with "takeaway and a bottle of fizz" sounds pretty close to ideal to me.
Congratulations all round.
cheers, gracia

September 15, 2006 7:17 am  
Blogger A home sewn, recycled,vintage life said...

Happy 10th wedding Anniversary and 50th post,time really does fly, you made me think for a moment how long I have been married,gulp! 16yrs Aug 06. Hawaii is somewhere I would love to go! my sister has been living there for 5yrs, and I haven't got there yet, maybe next year,sigh!

September 15, 2006 2:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations! on both accounts!

And good luck with the dress. It's a beautiful model.

... ehm... what's W Rouleux? should I know?

September 16, 2006 4:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A belated Happy Anniversary. We were married at St Mary's Battersea overlooking the Thames five years before you. On your wedding day I was living just up the road from you off Northcote Road wonder what I was doing!

September 18, 2006 10:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for your site - good find.
Whereon earth do you find Viyella dress fabric? Jill Laura

February 10, 2007 6:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home