Friday, September 22, 2006

bags of vivid fruitfulness ...

Thank you for all the lovely comments about my coat, they made me so happy. Sadly it is still too warm to wear it although it has also been raining cats and dogs most of the day. I was worried if I did wear it I might end up standing in a pool of purple water. I don't know if I trust the fastness of the dye, I guess I am just a worrier. I also just wanted to clarify that I only jazzed the coat up I didn't make the whole thing. It is in fact an old Jigsaw coat that had faded and looked tired and sad.

Today I have been working on this little project.

I needed to say some thank you to a couple of people and thought these bags were just the thing. I love the colours they seem perfect for the Autumn season all ripe and juicy like damsons. I have to say that as much as I love the corduroy, for some reason, this time it has been a complete pain to sew with. I broke a needle stitching up the first bag something that has only happened once before, when I was trying to sew some really stiff denim.

One bag has already been packaged up and dispatched, via the school playground. The other I plan to send off tomorrow.

They are remarkably sturdy bags. I have made them for myself in the past and they can take some serious weight. I can regularly be heard clanking my way back from the supermarket with these bags in hands. They have outlived many a 'bag for life'.

This weekend I am hoping to get to The Quilt Room in Dorking. They are celebrating their 25th Anniversary and are having a special open weekend with 10% off everything and drinks and nibbles. As I have promised to make my sister a quilt I thought it would be a good time to go.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I love the bag. It's a gorgeous colour and cord is a great fabric.

Have fun at the quilt shop. Can wait to see what you buy!

September 23, 2006 8:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That bag is fab! What a happy colour and in cord too... don't sell that around here...

I did a brown cord bag for my brother once (he's a franciscan monk and it took me ages to find the 'right' brown) and I hated doind it. I must have gone through at least 5 needles!

I stayed away from cord ever since, but your tempting me.

September 23, 2006 1:53 pm  
Blogger createacraft said...

did you use the stabilizer ..when you dyed it??
if no..better wear it on no-rainy days.. it is really raining cats and dogs here too..

I like the bag's colour.. you are right ..perfect for autumn..
have a nice day..

September 23, 2006 7:25 pm  
Blogger Penny said...

What lovely bags - the colours are gorgeous.

I've broken needles on corduroy as well, but not in other fabrics.

September 24, 2006 11:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These really do look sturdy and I love the colour. If you use a bigger needle, designed for denim, it should really help with the breaking issues.

September 25, 2006 8:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home