Sunday, October 29, 2006

pay day ...

Friday was my first pay day in seven years and, oh, the exhilaration of having my own money again. So on Saturday - time to spend. Nothing extravagant just a Lego Star Wars Tie-Fighter for my son and some yarn and a copy of Selvedge for me.


I would like to buy something substantial with my first pay cheque. When I first started work I bought a fancy Pentax camera with that very first pay. I still have and use that camera. All the wages for years after went on the mundane stuff of life but the first pay packet was and is special. I am thinking that I might buy a dress form with this first money. Whilst I was making the dress it would have been so useful and I have big ideas to make some more garments. Those Wendy Mullin designs in "Sew U" are calling to me.

So half-term is now nearly over and I think my little bean had a good time. In the end my husband had a lot more work on than he had anticipated as two big jobs came in on the Friday as half-term started. It meant that all his plans to go out on Father and Son jaunts and escapades whilst I was at work had to go by the board. But in the end he went to play at friends' homes and even spent the day at London Zoo with another friend. Oh and his wobbly tooth finally came out today so all in all not too bad a break from school.

I still have no computer and no clear idea when I will get it back - so much for hoping I would have it back for the weekend. It is becoming a real pain now. I have a package of ribbons all ready for sending to the States but the address to send them to is on my computer so they just sit there waiting. I can also only access one of my email accounts so if anyone has been sending mail to the other one then I haven't been able to get them - a real nuisance.

So with no computer I have been catching up on my reading (Chicago May by Nuala O Faolain), and knitting (still plodding on with Florence) and today I made some chocolate chunk cookies from the Ina Garten Parties! book (I must get her new book). And the clocks may have changed but the evening sky still manages to wow with the most gorgeous colours.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

I also got my first pay cheque for a while this week, it really is a good feeling. Still havent decided what to spend it on but your right it should be something substantial and special - the dress form is a great idea!

October 29, 2006 9:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no - no computer=serious withdrawl symptoms for me.

Yes, spend the first pay on something memorable - I am always very impressed by dress forms - the mark of a serious sewer!

October 30, 2006 2:18 pm  
Blogger Stephanie said...

There is something going around with computers lately. My laptop has a boo-boo too, but when I found out how much it would cost to fix and the fact that they only guaranteed service for 3-months, I decided to just start using my boyfriend's computer for now until I decide what to do about mine.

You should definitely buy the dressform!

October 30, 2006 3:00 pm  
Blogger A home sewn, recycled,vintage life said...

Ahh! the first pay cheque. Mine was back in Jan this year, I had also decided to buy a big thing with my hard earned cash. I also wanted a dress form but I also wanted a Bernina serger. Well the serger came first and then the dress form, best two(for me)purchases I have made.
Hope your puter recovers soon.

October 30, 2006 7:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where do you get Selvedge from? Remote and bizarre establishments or merely shops that we here in the darkest depths of Wales haven't heard of!?
Hope the pay didn't burn a hole in your pocket like mine does!

October 30, 2006 10:14 pm  
Blogger createacraft said...

ou should also buy some rice.. for prosperity.. some copper object.. for longevity of your income.. and some sugar.. for being able to spend it on nice things.. go on.. spend some more..
but I must say.. I love your yarn.. the colours are fantastic..
enjoy..

October 31, 2006 7:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well done you! Treat yourself, you deserve it!

October 31, 2006 9:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home