Tuesday, January 23, 2007

oi, weirdo!...

Both Simmy and Laura have tagged me to share six weird things about myself. Well, I have had to think long and hard about this because I think I am completely normal. But then when I had done a bit of thinking I realised what I think of as normal could be other people's weird.

I suppose the first weird thing about me are my hands. They have two weird things about them. I suffer from Raynaud's which is basically bad circulation and it expresses itself in my hands and feet but worst in my hands. Even on the mildest days they can turn blue, really truly blue and on colder days that blue is punctuated by luminous orange spots. Yes that is really orange spots. If I am really unlucky my fingers go white and dead looking which is really painful when the blood starts to return. This condition meant that I could never do up the buttons on my school shirt after playing hockey (real hockey not the ice variety) and just forget about tying shoelaces.

The second thing weird relates to my right hand - it has a huge ganglion. This ganglion sometimes disappears but eventually it comes back and becomes a large turgid lump that effects the movement of my hand and can cause a fair bit of pain. It is a nuisance that is in my right wrist because it means that sewing, knitting, drawing has to be curtailed sometimes.

I am completely anal about making sure the housework has been done before doing anything creative or crafty. I find that my mind works better when it is clear of worries and concerns about the washing up or laundry or hoovering. I wish I could ease up about it and let go but I guess that is just something that makes me, me.

A sort of adjunct to the weirdness above I can't go to bed without making my bed. Equally , I can't make my bed until it has been well and truly aired.

I don't like making phone calls. I won't phone up for takeaway or to book anything. I can do it but prefer to just make my husband do it. If I know I have to phone someone I get really anxious and nervous before hand. I have to carefully think out what I want to say and then I get all let down when the phone is either engaged or I get the answer machine. The only exception to this rule is when I am phoning up to complain about something and then I can pick up the phone straight away and let rip.

My husband has suggested that I mention that I don't like mashed potato which he thinks is really weird. I love chips, roast potatoes, dauphinoise, crisps and I can even just about eat boiled potatoes but mashed potatoes - yuk.


My final weirdness and it is quite a good weirdness is my eye for colour. I have the ability to see a fabric once and then go and pick out the perfect thread to go with it. Well that is making it sound a little to easy as common as often there isn't an exact thread colour to match. One might be a little too red, or a little too blue or not have enough yellow to it. The Gutterman may be a little too light whilst the Sylko is a little to dark. I like to think I have a good sense of colour pitch. The downside is that I have a hell of a time trying to marry fabric combinations together.

Yes indeed, I am weird and proud!

6 Comments:

Blogger Flibbertygibbet said...

I share the ganglion, but on my left hand.

I also share the phone one, and it's only getting worse the older I get.

My dad shares your mashed potato one, and I just wish I had your housework 'problem'!

January 23, 2007 11:23 pm  
Blogger Becky said...

I have a ganglion on my left hand, too. It can hurt a lot, so I share your pain.

I only like mashed potatoes when they have creamy cucumber dressing mixed in. Then they're YUMMY! (My mom takes the credit for that one.)

January 23, 2007 11:25 pm  
Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

I was lured here under false pretenses -- I saw your post title and thought it referred to me!

My wife has Raynauds, too, so I can sympathize with your symptoms. No fun! And you react like that in London. I can't imagine how you would cope with our Canadian winters. Luckily you don't have to. Stay well!

Andrew (To Love, Honor, and Dismay)

January 24, 2007 1:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great insight into your weirdyness! Hehe Thanks for sharing x

January 24, 2007 10:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I share your eye for colour, my colour memory seems almost photographic which is a mixed blessing because when it comes to finding a match it is sometimes hard to find perfect.

January 24, 2007 10:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a ganglion in grade school when I played the flute. It went away after I quit band before high school.
Playing piano doesn't seem to bother it. I remember it being quite a nuisance, though.
I'm sort of the same way about fonts as you are with color. I can usually glance at a typeface and tell you what it is. My family calls me the font whore - even my parents. But they mean it in the nicest possible way :)

January 25, 2007 4:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home