Thursday, April 19, 2007

skirt ...

The hemming had to wait until today. Work just so gets in the way of my projects! As you know I made the skirt using the Wendy Mullin pattern that comes with the Sew U book and it is the first project in the book because it is relative simplicity.I decided to use some of the Martha Negley 'Marigold' fabric I bought from Liberty a while ago. The only problem is that the fabric isn't that thick so without some sort of lining you would see a little too much VPL. I had no traditional lining fabric so used some quilting calico instead. I had concerns about it being too bulky but the two together have a nice weight to them. Although the calico may ride up horribly when I walk but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.It is a straight forward pattern consisting of just six pieces, eight if you want to line the skirt. I chose to use a zip at the back of the skirt but Wendy shows you other possible options, such as elasticated waist or drawstring. Wendy provides good instructions on inserting the zip and doing the darts. I have to confess that I hate darts if you don't take your time to execute them properly they can let the whole garment down and make it look homemade in that bad way. So for further instructions I referred to this book

it really is my sewing bible. The photos in it are very dated but the knowledge it contains and the instructions it provides are superlative.

I opted to put the waistband facing on the outside of the skirt and use contrasting fabric which is one of the many permutations that Wendy offers instructions for. In fact there are so many ideas and options that you could make a myriad of skirts all completely different but from the same basic pattern. I could have added pockets, ruffles along the hemline, bound the hem, shortened the skirt oh the possibilities really are endless....

The one bone of contention though is the size, there has been some conversations on other blogs about the small size of the pattern pieces. The skirt comes in XS, S, M or L pattern sizes and I had to go for the medium one and it is a snug fit I am a UK size 8-10 so the sizing is an issue especially as the book gives no details on how to size up.

But I like my new skirt and I hope the weather continues sunny so I can wear it and therefore I think a little leg dipilation is called for this evening.

15 Comments:

Blogger Jade said...

Lovely skirt! I specially like the fabrics you used....I've got the book, too, but I'm not game yet. Probably after a few more baby clothes ;-)

April 20, 2007 12:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your skirt looks great, I love the fabrics. I looked at that book yesterday in Borders, would you recommend it? Loved the Paris goodies too, look forward to seeing what you make with it all.

April 20, 2007 9:35 am  
Blogger Ali said...

Your skirt looks great Caroline. And depilation - aaaargh.

Give birth without drugs, I can do, but yank the hairs out of my legs - the thought makes me come out in a cold sweat!

April 20, 2007 4:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I've missed so much including your Paris trip, glad you had a wonderful time. Love the skirt.

April 20, 2007 5:00 pm  
Blogger Tracy x said...

Great skirt - such a lovely flattering shape.
Tracy x

April 20, 2007 5:27 pm  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Your skirt looks great, lovely fabrics and apparently the good weather is going to last the weekend - hope you enjoy wearing it.

April 20, 2007 7:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your skirt - thanks for the sizing info, I was all for buying that book but it looks like the sizing won't go near me!

April 20, 2007 7:47 pm  
Blogger Stephanie said...

You did a great job on the skirt. I really like the contrast band.

I've been thinking about whether I should get that book or not...your post has convinced me I should!

April 20, 2007 8:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What lovely things in your recent posts that I seem to have missed Caroline. I love the skirt and all those goodies you got in Paris. Tom's going there next week on business - wonder if I ought to send him somewhere if he has the time!

April 20, 2007 10:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is such a cool skirt!!! Well done caroline.

And glad you had a great time in gay Paris! After all as they say, Paris is beautiful in the spring.

Enough cliches, I'll sign off now.

April 21, 2007 6:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous well done! I had to giggle thinking of you as quite young with the zip fastening and wanting to line it to avoid VPL rather than going with the elasticated waist and big granny pants!! ;o) I must get that book on my Amazon list!

April 21, 2007 8:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks just lovely - glad I took your advice about that book though, I'd have to size up a fair bit and it's probably not worth it. So I'll just watch what you make instead!

April 21, 2007 8:20 pm  
Blogger Penny said...

That's a really lovely skirt, very stylish. Definately a book to look out for.

April 22, 2007 9:05 pm  
Blogger Navel Gazer said...

It looks great. How summery to use the marigold fabric. Imagine, a size 8-10 is a medium - who are these patterns designed for!!

I'd love to roam around Paris and search for treasure - it's just a bit too far for the weekend from here.

April 23, 2007 10:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely skirt, I like the shape and the fabrics you have put together.

April 24, 2007 6:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home