Monday, April 09, 2007

bread, bags and au revoir

There is nothing like a few days off work to get you motivated. So fasten your seatbelts and I'll take you for a ride through my productivity.

First up bread. I decided to try my hand at No-Knead Bread, the New York Times bread recipe that has been doing the rounds in Blogland for sometime now.
All you need is flour, water, salt and yeast. Which are all mixed together and then the mixture is left for 18 hours - yes 18 whole hours - this is not a bread to make in a hurry. After all those hours the mixture is like some bubbly witches brew. At this point the mixture is folded in on itself and then left for another couple of hours to rise. It then gets cooked at a high heat in a big casserole like a Le Creuset. After all that time you then have to wait for the bread to cool before tasting. So after all that time was it worth it? Well I think it looks fantastic and it tasted not bad althought I would perhaps add a little more salt which is not like me as I rarely cook with salt. I think it would also be lovely with chopped walnuts baked into it.

Another tote bag - this has been packed and will be coming to Paris, for all those purchases I hope to make!It is made from linen blend fabric in a lilac and aqua as well as the scrummy cupcake fabric.

I am also rather pleased with myself - I have finally made something from some of the strips I received from Flibbertygibbet's first strip swap. I made this cushion cover from the fabric Sarah over at Made for Moot sent to me. It is just a very random log cabin type of patchwork that I machine quilted but it was good fun to work on.

So tomorrow - Paris here we come! Thank you for all your suggestions and ideas plans have been formulated and the weather promises to be on our side so here's to a great couple of days.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will have to try that bread recipe, it sounds interesting and certainly looks imppressive. I like the cupcake tote. Have a lovely holiday.

April 09, 2007 9:57 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

Wow! What a great suprise to see "my" fabrics in that lovely cushion. I've been meaning to make one of those myself, you've inspired me.

April 09, 2007 10:07 pm  
Blogger Ali said...

Those cupcakes are sure to take Paris by storm! Have a wonderful trip.

April 09, 2007 10:15 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

I love the bags....
I’d just like to say I’ve been looking at your blog for a while now and wanted to let you know how much I like it. It’s even got me to start up my own:
http://sarahquilter.blogspot.com

April 10, 2007 9:18 am  
Blogger A home sewn, recycled,vintage life said...

Cor! that bread looks scrummy! Cute tote too!

April 10, 2007 10:15 pm  
Blogger Angel Jem said...

Oh La La! Enjoy Le Paris & drink all the red wine you want! Les Parisiennes will have to watch out with that bag!

April 11, 2007 11:03 am  
Blogger Di said...

Loved all your craftyness!! I hope that you have a great trip to Paris - it is my favourite city - unfortunately my favourite hotel closed late last year (OK my friends moved to Milan so I shouldn't complain too much!!) Will be there again in September when I go for a wedding so if you find any good stash enhancing stores let me know!!

April 12, 2007 12:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow very busy and productive!

I love your bags, the one with the applique is my fave, but you've also made a lovely job of Jan's bag.

I think I'll have a it of a sew myself.

April 12, 2007 12:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home