Monday, April 30, 2007

where did April go? ...

I can't believe that tomorrow is May and that it has also been nearly two weeks since my last post. The sand is slipping too quickly through the hour glass at the moment which is very frustrating and a bout of tonsillitis didn't help. Although I still made it in to work (I know I'm such a martyr) but it did mean that I was totally washed out by the time I got home and so blogging and crafting were placed on the back burner.

But I did receive a wonderful button package from Anna as part of Vintage Button Swap Deux. I really love these red flower ones and need to think of something special to use them on. Packages with foreign stamps on them do so much to raise the spirits.

I also signed up for Flibbertygibbet's Fabric Swap 3. What can I say I just love receiving happy post and surprise fabric makes for some very happy post.

In an attempt to keep my hand in with the crochet I decided to have a go at making one of the crochet baskets in the Erica Knight book Simple Crochet. Here is the result it took me a ridiculously long time but in my defence I was poorly because it really isn't great.It didn't help that I didn't count the stitches or rows but rather used my 'that looks about right' guage. On this occasion it was not calibrated correctly. Hence the odd shape that lends it a charm all of its own at least that is what I keep telling myself.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - it may be wonky but it's still beautiful! and useful too! Love your buttons. Lucy

April 30, 2007 9:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry - didn't seem to leave my "calling card" last time! Lucy
lucylocketrecycledherpocket.blogspot.com

April 30, 2007 9:33 pm  
Blogger Flibbertygibbet said...

I think it looks pretty good for a first effort! (Says the woman who's on her third but thankfully final attempt at the ripple blanket) Dear me, should we have been paying more attention during the class, hah?!
Hope you're recovered fully now.

April 30, 2007 10:27 pm  
Blogger Penny said...

The buttons are lovely: I liked the one that looked like it had a three on it.

April 30, 2007 10:47 pm  
Blogger Ali said...

I was beginning to worry - glad it was tonsillitis and nothing more sinister!

I can think of millions of uses for crochet baskets. They're the new ripple blanket dontcha know!

April 30, 2007 11:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had to delurk briefly to say handmade with flaws is (nearly) always gonna be better than perfect but mass produced - I think the basket is cute! Must learn to crochet...!
Oh, and your gorgeous bags have inspired me to drag out my sewing machine and buy Lotta's book so I can start on a creation of my own. Love the denim bag and the cupcake bag particularly - where did you get the cupcake fabric? Gotta have it to make an apron for my friend's 9 year old DD who has recently discovered baking.
Glad you're feeling better, tonsillitis is no fun at all.

May 01, 2007 6:27 am  
Blogger Sarah said...

I hope you're feeling beter now. Can I suggest Hopi ear candles will help with any problems you have left. I know it sounds wiered but they clear up noses, throats and ears a treat - honest give it a try.

May 01, 2007 6:29 am  
Blogger Kate said...

Love the basket - very cute and useful!

May 01, 2007 11:13 am  
Blogger Berber said...

I hope you're completely better now! The basket is very cute... I don't think I would be able to make one :)

May 01, 2007 4:45 pm  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Hope you are feeling better now - really like the crochet basket, I keep making excuses like I need to buy some yarn, rather than just getting on with it - a basket sounds like a good start!

cute buttons too!

May 01, 2007 7:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just requested that crochet book from the library after a couple of people mentioned it to me as I've been knitting jute baskets. I like the way yours has turned out by the way.

Love the lust post too - I'm a terrrible one for that.

May 05, 2007 7:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home