Monday, June 04, 2007

sew and tell ...

Thankfully my wish came true and we have been having the most glorious weather - hence lots of time enjoying said weather and not posting. But the sunny weather also meant that I could take some photos of my Amy Butler 'A' line skirt. Or rather my husband took the photos as I modelled but I'm no Helena Christiansen and he's no David Bailey so these are the shots you get.The Barcelona Layer skirt has survived two washes in the machine and I love the way the layers have now started to fray just as they should so I had no qualms about making the 'A' line skirt. As I knew the pattern would work and I would end up with a really comfy to wear skirt.

Whilst on my garment making kick I decided to have a go at the apron skirt that also comes as part of the Barcelona skirt suite of patterns. It involved an urgent re-ordering of some fabric from Get Knitted in order fulfil the pattern.
The apron is nice and swishy feeling because it is slightly gathered at the waistband and the big bow at the back makes it feel very girly and 50's housewifey. I do like the fact that the apron is reversible as it gives you options and a girl should always have options. I think the apron over the skirt does create a rather full on effect - but I think it would look good over jeans.

I really like the fact that these Amy Butler patterns produced such comfortable and wearable skirts and I am now very tempted to try out some of her other patterns. After seeing all the wonderful items over on this Flickr site I am very tempted to try my hand at the Weekender Bag and after seeing Ali's take on the Cabo Halter top I am getting a hankering to try that too. And it is my birthday coming up in the next couple of weeks or so, so I think I may just be adding them to my wish list.

12 Comments:

Blogger dottycookie said...

What a pretty skirt, it really suits you. I'm feeling very tempted by the pictures of the Amy Butler skirts popping up all over the place, and since it's my birthday on Friday I may be copying your wish list! Have a great birthday when it arrives :-)

June 04, 2007 10:36 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Love the skirt and the apron and the fabrics you have chosen! Looks wonderful.

June 05, 2007 12:16 am  
Blogger craftoholic said...

very, very pretty! I love the layering with the apron, oh the possibilties!

June 05, 2007 12:53 am  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I love the skirt and the pictures. You are a great model! I sewed Amy Butler's Cabo Halter last weekend and would definitely recommend it (see the final result on my blog). It is really simple and the result is great.

June 05, 2007 2:05 am  
Blogger Ali said...

Your skirt is so droolworthy! Looks great in that print. I may have to give the plain a-line a whirl next.

And a birthday approaching eh?

June 05, 2007 9:39 am  
Blogger Katie Jean said...

I love it all! Such great fabric choices!

June 05, 2007 7:04 pm  
Blogger A home sewn, recycled,vintage life said...

Wonderful! it looks really great on you.

June 05, 2007 7:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love, love the skirt and the fabric you chose........

June 05, 2007 9:14 pm  
Blogger Di said...

The skirts/apron look fantastic! I really must try my hand at sewing! Lucky you also getting some sunshine - it's been pretty grey here in Scotland!

June 05, 2007 9:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOhhh, it looks lovely, the fabric is great. I decided to start with the A line and cut it out last night, although I am a little worried it it going to be abit small! I too, have admired Ali's top and would like to try that one too.

June 06, 2007 7:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your skirt looks great and I like it with the apron over the top - very neat! I love the fabric you chose for the skirt - I have bought some of the same in the same colour as I want to make a quilt in Amy Butler fabrics.

June 07, 2007 12:23 pm  
Blogger ModCherie said...

Oohh...I think I'll go make a skirt myself! Yours turned out just lovely.

June 30, 2007 4:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home