Sunday, May 20, 2007

I'm back ...

and I had a brilliant time away - I don't think I have laughed so much in ages. I was crying with laughter on more than one occasion.

We did the cultural bit we walked the nine streets, we marvelled at the Van Gogh Museum, we reflected at Anne Frank Huis, we enjoyed the tranquility in the Begijnhof, we climbed numerous steep staircases, we ambled by the canals, we tested and tasted food samples at the Saturday market in the Jordaan area ....

I'll warn you now I made no fabric purchases. I think I have been more rather gratuitous on that front over the last couple of posts so I will spare you. I did see the most amazing ribbon shop but sadly it was closed Fridays and Saturdays - typical closed the two days I was there. I also spotted what would probably have been an amazing button shop but didn't go in or even look in the window. And truth be told I wasn't there to supplement my supplies.
But I did come back with some food items - yummy biscuits, delicious chocolate, scrumptious sprinkles for toast and a tub of satay sauce. I love foreign supermarkets so much. All the fascinating alien packaging and products that are on display just make me happy. OK, I know, I'm weird.

We had a wonderful meal out at this place and we spent lots of time just drinking wine and talking and laughing, having fun and relaxing. We were lucky the weather was as good as it was just perfect for strolling around chips with mayonnaise in hand. For sitting outside cafes enjoying a drink and watching the street entertainment which was dubious to say the least.

Where to next? I have a hankering to head over to New York but will have to save up my pennies for that one, even with the exchange rate being so favourable.

6 Comments:

Blogger Di said...

I love Amsterdam! It sounds like you had a great time!! Thanks for sharing the shop finds (even if you didn't go in - you were still thinking of all of us craft junkies!! I too love supermarkets in other countries - I always try to find one to visit!! Start saving New York is so fab!!

May 20, 2007 7:29 pm  
Blogger Ali said...

I'm a big fan of supermarkets abroad too. Those bread sprinkles are fab - my neighbour is Dutch and often brings some back for me.

Glad you had fun and can I come to New York too? I'm good at carrying heavy bags!

May 20, 2007 9:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh! chips and mayonnaise. YUK! I remember going there as a teenager on a school trip and eating so much of them that now the thought turns my stomach! When me and DH went a few years back we indulged ourselves meal after meal with falafel from every street corner!? I could eat those right now. Oh yes and the Indonesian meal, and the lager...and the...I WANT TO GO AGAIN!
Glad you had a good time.

May 21, 2007 1:42 pm  
Blogger Berber said...

Hey, that's a familiar sight :)

Had I known you'd go to Amsterdam I could have given you the addresses of some great fabric shops... but perhaps it's better that I didn't ;))

I love foreign supermarkets too!

May 21, 2007 3:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed Amsterdam - I went there a few years back and had a lovely time - avoiding all the things British tourists do when they are there..!
Off the subject a bit (and I feel cheeky for asking), but can you recommend anywhere in London where they do crochet classes? I've done a net search and not found anything yet - it's for a friends birthday. Thanks!

May 21, 2007 6:18 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh I love those sprinkles - and did you get speculoos biscuits the swirly cinnamon ones? I too love foreign supermarkets. There is a great button shop in New York by the way - upper east side I seem to remember.

May 23, 2007 10:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home