Tuesday, July 10, 2007

guess what ... more bags...

I've been cutting up the last few bags that I have had orders for and tomorrow I plan to try and sew as many as I can before I have to head into work.

One bag I have finished is my first 'commission'. The request was for a beach bag that needed to be large enough to carry three or four towels, suntan lotion, bottles of water and various other beach accoutrement.
It also was requested that it should be bright and cheery so the Rowan beachball fabric seemed a natural if obvious choice. I teamed it with a pinky reddish linen blend and the lining is an aqua coloured linen blend. This helps it all fold nice and flat for packing into a suitcase.

I have yet to show the bag to the women who ordered it so I hope she likes it but it certainly is capacious enough for three towels, water, beach toys, sun lotion .... It measures 54cm wide by 53cm long and has a depth of 14 cm. The handles are 54cm long and the bag can be carried comfortably on the shoulder. Although if you would want it on your shoulder when it is full is another question entirely.

I am particularly pleased with the pocket - which can take a 1.5 litre Evian bottle you can just see its lid poking out the top. The other side of the pocket is for all the other bits and bobs that you don't want to lose in the bottom of the bag.

After I have finished this little batch of bags I think I need to find something else to work on as I feel I need a rest from bags. Luckily I have a quilt commission to work on, so that should fill the gap nicely.

10 Comments:

Blogger dottycookie said...

That is really a lovely beach bag. I'd be amazed if she doesn't adore it!

July 10, 2007 10:05 pm  
Blogger Ali said...

It's super-de-dooper. Although that first picture doesn't let on about it's truly impressive scale!

I am always surprised at how my things are smaller in reality than they were in my head...

July 10, 2007 10:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous - I love it! I love all your other bags too - have you got any left to sell??? Also, have you got any tips on where to get the linen and ric rac?? I know we're a shop but we don't have any of that stuff and hey my hobby comes first!!!! I NEEEEEEED to stash linen and ric rac!

July 10, 2007 10:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh uhm, me again - if you'd like to reply about the bags for sale or my whining about linen etc then you can maybe email me at thegirls@buttonberry.com Thank you!!!

July 10, 2007 10:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on the commission work! pretty fun stuff.

i agree with ali -i had no idea how large it was in that first shot - and the fabric choices are perfect!

July 10, 2007 11:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the bag - and especially the pocket inside. You clever thing. I haven't tried pockets yet!

I certainly know how you feel about pushing yourself selling at the fair. We've just had ours and I found it difficult to do a hard sell just hoping the things would speak for themselves.

It was slow - though I don't think summer or this time of year is the time that people buy masses. I always do much better at christmas.

July 11, 2007 7:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She will love it. The size is great and the pocket for a large water bottle is good idea.

July 11, 2007 8:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HELLO! My first visit here--you have a terrific blog! I adore all your bags--so cheerful they are with yummy fabrics! I look forward to coming by again to read more. Happy Summer Days! :o)

July 11, 2007 11:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that just looks as spiffy and fun as can be!

July 11, 2007 2:16 pm  
Blogger Berber said...

I love this bag and all the ones you made before this!

July 11, 2007 10:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home