Wednesday, July 04, 2007

sewin' up a storm...

it seems only appropriate that as the weather rages on in its storm like state that I do likewise but with my sewing machine instead of thunder, lightening and hail.

I have been making bags upon bags over the last few days. First I made some book bags using linen and a mix of Rowan fabrics and a little bit of ric-rac for good measure. The lining is a bright cheery contrast to the outer fabric and there is a single patch pocket in the back lining of the bag.On the vital stats front, the bag measures 26cm wide by 30cm long and is 6cm in depth whilst the handles are 48cm long. And there are six of them for sale at my son's school fair on Friday.

As you can see I have even made tags for them showing their price.Now you can see why I have been trying to pick your brains about how to price hand crafted items. I took on board all your advice, which I am very grateful for, and came up with a price that I am sort of happy with. I have made sure that all my costs are covered and there is a little bit extra to re-invest in fabric. Also I have priced it with the school in mind as they take a percentage from any sales. Of course I may come home with all of them in which case it will be bags as birthday presents for the time being!

I have also made six of my shopper bags which I haven't taken any photos of yet so I'll do that tomorrow.

11 Comments:

Blogger dottycookie said...

Oh, the book bags are pretty. I need to make some as end of year presents for my little one's teachers - reception is a big year, and I thought that every teacher could probably use an extra bookbag, right?

July 04, 2007 11:43 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Wonderful bags - just gorgeous. Love the little tags too.

July 05, 2007 12:45 am  
Blogger Ali said...

So you're outing yourself at school eh? Prepare for the deluge of compliments - the bags look great, and I an completely besotted with the tags.

July 05, 2007 7:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bags are gorgeous, I'm sure you'll sell out.
Your labels look very professional and I think they will look perfect on the bags. Good luck.

July 05, 2007 9:35 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh they are lovely, I do hope they sell well, I think they are excellent value.

July 05, 2007 10:54 am  
Blogger julie said...

The bags look great and I'm really impressed with your gorgeous tags - a perfect finishing touch.

July 05, 2007 2:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll buy one please! Your neighbour Jenny.

July 05, 2007 5:12 pm  
Blogger Rubyred said...

The bags are lovely!Hope you sell out!I think £10 is a good price.Can't wait to see your shopper bags!

July 05, 2007 5:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

£10? A steal! They look lovely.

July 05, 2007 8:25 pm  
Blogger Penny said...

They are nice, I hope the sale goes well.

July 05, 2007 8:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely bags - i esp. like the pocket and the tag!

July 05, 2007 10:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home