Tuesday, June 05, 2007

biased ...

Thank you so much for all the lovely comments about the skirt - I have put it in the wash this evening so fingers crossed it survives as well as the layer skirt.

After all that garment sewing I have gone back to my old favourite - bags. Spurred on mainly by the latest issue of Martha Stewart Living. I wasn't going to buy the issue as I have found it very samey recently but I fancied something to browse through whilst lazing in a deckchair in the garden. Well I never did get to laze but I did come across an inspiring article all about bias binding.
To be honest I have tended to shy away from bias binding and I don't really know why. I think it is just a hang over from doing needlework at school where binding came in boring colours and the thought of making your own was a way too outlandish notion. Also I had to use it 'properly' - machine stitch in the ditch along one side, fold it over the raw seam and then hand stitch it into the machine stitches. Very long, tedious and boring work that really destroyed any thought of the fun posibilities that binding could offer.

Anyway I decided to have a go at the bias tote. The pattern and the instructions can be downloaded here so that there is no real need to buy the magazine. However, a word of warning at no point in the magazine or online do they state the dimensions of the handles. They don't appear on the downloaded pattern either. So I had to guess.
On this occasion I think that the handles are a little to wide. I like the pockets on the front of the bag but there are too many off them for me - I'd never find anything! I also find it a little flat for my liking. So I now have plans for my own version which I hope to post photos of tomorrow.

5 Comments:

Blogger craftoholic said...

I too bought the magazine just because of this article. It's such a gorgeous spread, the Amy Butler fabric against that lovely blue wallpaper. I'm looking forward to see what you're coming up with.

June 05, 2007 11:01 pm  
Blogger Ali said...

I've never really used bias binding on anything but quilts. But I want to get to grips with it, just in case it is a quick fix for my curved hem sewing issues!

I love that Martha likes Amy Butler too!

June 05, 2007 11:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really are an inspiration! I love coming here to see what gems you've tried out and how they'vw worked for you. I have the magazine and had fancied the bag...tomorrow i'm going to dig out some fabric and try it out. You make it look so simple...but i daresay I'll be reaching for a stiff drink half way through my attempt!
(Love the skirts to..but not enough to inflict my legs on the world! )
Keep making.....

June 05, 2007 11:22 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Great bag! I just discovered bias binding and am in love with it now.

June 06, 2007 12:58 am  
Blogger dottycookie said...

My mum has been singing the praises of bias binding recently and reminding me that she used to use it a lot on clothes for us when we were little. I'm about to take the sleeves out of a little dress in n attempt to make it fit for a little bit longer and I'm thinking bias binding might be what I need to finish those raw edges ...

June 06, 2007 9:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home