Wednesday, June 06, 2007

a brace of bags ...

I finished a second bias bag today. This time I opted for brighter binding a gorgeous hot pink. I also made some of the changes to the pattern. I decided to just have the two pockets at the front rather than the four in the original, the handles were also made slightly narrower and a little longer so that it would sit more easily on my shoulder.
It also has a gusset (not the most attractive of words but it does offer the best description) to help make it wider so I can fit more stuff in it without it bulging too much.It is quite a flimsy bag so I'm not sure how well it will stand up to the daily rigors and trials I put bags through. In fact I made sure that I stitched all the elements togther before sewing on the binding just to add an extra layer of stitching to hopefully make it a little stronger.

I plan to road test it tomorrow - which means that I can give my Lotta bag a bit of a rest. After not being entirely complimentary when I first made it I have now fallen in love with it. The floppiness that annoyed me when I made it now seems totally right and prefect. I can just shove loads of stuff into it and it happily copes with it all. It doesn't gape open nearly as much as I thought it would and when I wear on my shoulder I feel quite confident that it would be quite hard to 'dip'.

The little pocket at the end where I keep my bottle of water is so useful, and I just love that I can always find my keys at the bottom of the bag because of the special key strap thingy. The only thing I did do was add a piece of mountboard covered in the lining fabric to the base of the bag to offer a little structure - thanks for the idea rebecca.

I'm not sure how much sewing I will get done between now and Sunday as I have family visting for a couple of days and a couple of events to attend. Which is slightly frustrating as I have top I want to make. I have the fabric and the pattern, I just need to cut it out and sew it up! I have also realised that I am a few days away from my blogiversary so I would like to plan a little celebratory giveaway but need to get my thinking cap on for that one....

11 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm so amazed at your productivity. These bags are great. I really need to get over my fear of bias binging.

I am taking a guess that you're making the Amy Butler Cabo Halter...no?

June 06, 2007 11:55 pm  
Blogger Ali said...

'gusset' is one of those words that makes me feel all creepy too. And leotard. Ick.

But gusset or no, your bag is looking good. I'm glad to hear you say nice things about the Lotta tote too, because that's on my to-do list. I figure it'll be the perfect haul-the-kids-essentials-all-summer bag.

June 07, 2007 1:13 pm  
Blogger Katie Jean said...

I love the bias tape bags. I wanted to make these when I saw them in the magazine, but I have to do it. Mabe soon though!

June 07, 2007 8:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the bag! You have been very busy lately. The other bag is great too and your new skirts - gorgeous!

June 08, 2007 10:36 am  
Blogger A home sewn, recycled,vintage life said...

Your bag is lovely!
I also hate the word gusset, for some bizzare reason I have a vision of Rik Mayalls Richie Rich character from Bottom, you know the one who wears yellowing dingy Y fronts, Yuk!

June 08, 2007 11:35 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bags are beautiful, have a great ime with your guests.

June 08, 2007 1:12 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

The bags all look great. I'm a bit of a bagaholic and it's always good to look at what others have made and how we all seem to adjust things slightly.

June 08, 2007 3:31 pm  
Blogger Di said...

The bags are both great! It's been so long since I have done anything creative - life keeps on gettin gin the way! But I am sure to do something again soon!

Gingham always makes me think of sewing classes at school - we always used gingham! I think it was ideal to help us stitch in straight lines!

June 09, 2007 3:07 pm  
Blogger corry said...

love the pink bag!!

June 09, 2007 10:24 pm  
Blogger Berber said...

I love your new bags!

June 10, 2007 12:35 pm  
Blogger AC said...

Love the pink bag!
Alison x

June 10, 2007 9:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home