Monday, July 30, 2007

incommunicado...

quite unintentionally I have been in a sort of self imposed exile. Maybe it was the awful weather, maybe it was the onset of the summer holidays, maybe it was just laziness but I just didn't feel like blogging and indeed haven't really been that bothered with keeping up to date with other blogs. A bad state of affairs indeed.

But today is sunny and bright and cheery - so the perfect opportunity to make amends.

First, I must show you a lovely package goodies I received in the post in the last week. Emma kindly bought one of my bags and she sent me these beautiful buttons
and some dolly pegs and that fabric they are nestled on, is a lovely little draw string bag. Emma runs an online fabric shop and there are she has some lovely fabrics for sale.

I have also been working on a quilt as a gift for my cousin and his wife who have just had a little baby girl. My mum wanted to give a quilt as a gift and so I am making it for her to give.
My fabric choice was restricted to what I had in my stash as I really must start using some of those fabrics. I opted for pink for a girl but hopefully the green and cream help stop it being too saccharine.
So there was the cutting and then the piecing. And now I am in the process of hand quilting it. I love the process of hand quilting because it is the perfect opportunity to just sit down and watch a film and get on with it. The only problem is that it has been so long since I last did any quilting that my fingers have become too soft and the callouses have faded so my thumb and pointing and index finger are blistered and sore. Ahh well as they say 'no pain, no gain'.

12 Comments:

Blogger Di said...

Nice to see you back! It's been such a terrible summer! I love the quilt and the effort of hand-quilting - it's going to be beautiful!

July 30, 2007 9:56 pm  
Blogger dottycookie said...

I'm glad you're back, and hope you've been enjoying the summer!

The quilt is gorgeous, and I'm sure they'll love it.

By the way, I took the plunge and ordered fabric from Cia - and you were right, she's great! Thanks for the tip ...

July 30, 2007 10:23 pm  
Blogger Ali said...

I've been missing you. The quilt looks great - know what you mean about sore fingers though. I wish I could use a thimble, but I just can't.

July 30, 2007 10:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful new treasures. Love the quilt you're working on.

July 31, 2007 12:32 am  
Blogger Navel Gazer said...

The quilt is very sweet.

I'm glad to hear that it's not only me feeling a bit blah, school holidays and sick (as in ill) kids have done it for me.

I guess we'll all get our mojo back eventually. Glad to see yours is returning,

July 31, 2007 3:19 am  
Blogger Soo said...

looks like you've been busy! the quilt and hand quilting look beautiful, what a lucky baby!

July 31, 2007 11:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely to have you back! I'd just discovered you before you "went away"! Love all your new goodies. And the quilt is marvelous! That's going to be one lovingly, beautifully bundled up baby with that gorgeous quilt of yours! Happy Day! :o)

July 31, 2007 12:22 pm  
Blogger Chookyblue...... said...

pretty quilt.......for s special someone..........

July 31, 2007 1:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you back!

BTW, I hope you don't mind
but you've been tagged (by me)! I hope you're ok with that...I know some people aren't keen on doing these things

August 02, 2007 10:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the quilt. Jenny

August 02, 2007 3:05 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

The quilt is looking beautiful, really fresh and pretty. I enjoy the hand quilting too it is really worth it for the effect it gives, I do sympathise over the callouses though, I just do not seem to get on with any sort of thimble.

August 03, 2007 4:12 pm  
Blogger Jade said...

Beautiful, Caroline! The little baby girl is so lucky.

August 05, 2007 10:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home