Thursday, August 09, 2007

eight things...

well a day later than promised here are my 8 things:

1. Despite my sewing skills I don't ever seem to get around to sewing buttons back onto shirts or stitch hems back up. I have been known to have trouser hems that are held up with sellotape and when that fails I just replace the tape with more tape. Lazy? No, just saving those skills for something more interesting.

2. I have a thing for books. The flat is littered with hundreds of books and there is even a little box room rather grandly called 'the library' that is full of books but they are by no means restricted to just that room.

I have a small bookcase full of my craft books.
My 90-odd cookery books are on shelves in the kitchen. The front room has more shelves stacked with books and then of course there are the ones piled beside my bed.

3. I prefer red wine to white wine. I tend to get too tipsy, too quickly when drinking white wine. Although I love white wine of the fizzy kind.

4. Spurred on by Japanese craft books I am trying to teach myself Japanese. I'm mainly interested in trying to get a feel for the characters but I have also bought a teach yourself CD. I am pretty bad at learning languages so don't expect anything amazing.

5. I love my music and always have my iPod with me. But I also love just sitting in absolute silence just dwelling on my thoughts. See I'm a contrary so and so.

6. I'm a Gemini which is what I blame my contrariness and vacillation on. Of course it is also what gives me my wit and intellect! Ha, ha I wish!

7. Sometimes I wish I was shorter so that I could wear killer high heels and not tower over people. I fancy a pair of classic black Manolo stilletoes. The fact that I would fall flat on my face the first step I tried to take is immaterial.

8. I passed my driving test 17 years ago and haven't driven since. So I have a licence but would you trust me behind the wheel?! I just have never needed a car because I moved to London shortly after passing the test and I just took to using the tube, buses and walking.

I am now supposed to nominate 8 other people but I think most people have already taken part in this but if you haven't and you'd like to join in then consider this an open invitation.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm most impressed by the Japanese and with you completely on the driving thing.

August 09, 2007 10:22 pm  
Blogger Ali said...

I need to come and hang out in front of your craft bookshelf. Or your kitchen shelves.

Swap you for bad Japanese lessons. Very bad.

August 09, 2007 10:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Caroline...is that two copies of Sew U I see there on that wonderful bookcase filled with craft books? I'm a book nut too so love looking at all your book loveliness!!!

August 10, 2007 8:52 am  
Blogger Sew Create It - Jane said...

I'm Gemini too so I know what you are talking about :o) As for driving, well I've only just cracked that one..I did take my test 4 times, 2 countries and 17 years apart! But I'm on the road now...a bit of a necessity here in the midlands :o)

August 10, 2007 11:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I stop by and borrow a book? ;o) Wonderful library! You could still get your high, high heels--use them as book ends and admire them at least! LOL!Japanese...good for you! Is it as hard as it looks. I've always wanted to learn Japanese too. Such fun reading your list!

August 10, 2007 12:43 pm  
Blogger Di said...

I laughed at the comment about your trousers being held up by sellotape!! Mine too!!

August 10, 2007 6:24 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

You go right ahead and tower, (and teeter if necessary). I am so impressed by your admittance of 90 cook books, I haven't counted mine and felt perhaps they were excessive but I now see that my collection is lacking, you are my inspiration to acquire more cookbooks immediately....

August 10, 2007 8:15 pm  
Blogger GigerVamp said...

I love looking at other peoples bookshelves and always get a little thrill when I see a book that I have too! I notice you have a few books that I have!
Good for you for learning Japanese. I've been meaning to do that too. It would be nice to be able to understand what's written in the craft books.
Know what you mean about the sewing. I hate doing that kind of sewing!
I don't drive. I also lived in London (just down the road from you actually, in Earlsfield) and always used public transport, so never learnt. Now however, I'm surrounded by fields and have to rely on my hubby to ferry me about!

August 17, 2007 6:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh, I've tried "learning Japanese" also, that is learning Kanji--it's so hard. All I can remember is the "book" symbol!
Barbara C.

August 30, 2007 3:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home