Tuesday, August 07, 2007

show and tell ....

as promised here is the first instalment of my 'show and tell'. And first up is the latest bag I have made. A clever, cunning little creation that converts from a tote that is slung over the shoulder to a back pack just by pulling on the handles.
Ages ago now, I received a pattern for the 'Day in the Park Backpack Tote' that Liesl of Disdressed had drafted and produced. The pattern sat there waiting for me to finally choose some fabric and get on and sew it.

I ordered some of the necessary hardware from Lisa and the rest came from Kleins. And still the pattern sat there now with 'O' rings, magnetic closures, rivets and a zip to keep it company.
Well, after much deliberation, I finally chose natural linen for the main body of the bag, a coral coloured cotton for the lining and a Heather Bailey Freshcut pattern for the contrast.
I like the way the pattern worked out although there were a lot more pieces to the pattern than I would normally have considered and lot more interfacing and lining than I would normally use. My machine began to struggle getting through all the layers until I had a brainwave and remembered that I bought a walking foot for the machine ages ago. What a godsend! The walking foot was a minor miracle and made short work of all those layers. It also kept me captivated just watching it 'walk' along the fabric. Well as they say 'simple things...'

The instructions were very clear and easy follow. Although there was a slight discrepancy between the table showing what pieces you need from each fabric and the layout schematic. This led to me cutting out extra side panel fabric but nothing too desperate.

I also adapted the pattern ever so slightly. I added a key holder, a strip of fabric with a clasp on the end which I attach my keys to, which saves having to hunt around in the bottom of the bag.

Tomorrow, no show and tell but rather '8 things'. Zoe tagged me a few days ago and having had fun reading other peoples octopolies I thought I would think about mine between now and tomorrow evening and then share them with you.

13 Comments:

Blogger Di said...

I love the bag! What a clever design! I really must learn to sew! Perhaps I will be inspired once my fabric arrives from the States!!

August 07, 2007 9:47 pm  
Blogger Ali said...

Caroline, your things just always look so classy - beautiful backpack. And thank you for the link to Kleins. Cheap as chips or what?!

August 07, 2007 10:01 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Wonderful bag - it looks perfectly made and love that fabric!

August 08, 2007 12:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That bag is brilliant.

August 08, 2007 8:09 am  
Blogger Sarah said...

What a great bag - very versitile.

August 08, 2007 2:14 pm  
Blogger Kathy - Pink Chalk Studio said...

Fabulous combination of fabrics. I've been sitting on my pattern too and I actually ordered the hardware along with it so I have no excuses. Glad to hear it went together easily.

August 08, 2007 2:44 pm  
Blogger Angel Jem said...

That looks so good! I love the Heather Bailey fabric (on my to get eventually list) and the whole thing just has such good styling. Love it.

August 08, 2007 8:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic bag--the two-way construction/use is a super idea, and it's just lovely with your choice of fabrics and attention to details! Happy Day! :o)

August 09, 2007 1:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very groovy bag!

August 09, 2007 8:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's amazing!

August 10, 2007 8:55 am  
Blogger PĂ©itseoga said...

lovely colours! and i like the concept of the bag... the tote backpack combination. i had my eye on it for a while but haven't done much sewing in the summer, and i will probably just try to do something similar but simpler, rather than getting the pattern, the many pattern parts are scaring me off...

August 10, 2007 10:58 am  
Blogger Chookyblue...... said...

nice bag........

August 11, 2007 3:59 am  
Blogger Liesl Gibson said...

Oh, dear, there was a discrepancy? I must go back and check that. Glad you mentioned it! The bag turned out beautifully, and isn't the walking foot a godsend?

August 11, 2007 4:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home