Monday, August 20, 2007

two tomatillos ...

A couple of Saturday's ago I decided to clean up the garden a bit. Several garden waste sacks later and I could actually set up the deckchair and sit out there without being attacked or poked in the eye by the rampant plant growth.

Sadly, the very next day it then proceeded to become positively autumnal - the weather has become so much cooler and the rain has failed to cease so there has been no chance to sit out there and relax reading a good book. Typical - just typical.

This rubbish weather has resulted in my 'harvest' this year being very disappointing. The tomatoes have rotted on their stalks, the slugs and snails have feasted and feasted on any plants that didn't drown and so far I have only got two ripe tomatillos. I need a lot more to make a Mexican Salsa Verde. So does anyone know what I can do with just two?

8 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

They were worth growing for looks alone!

Slugs ate all my tomatoes and the entire courgette plant. Humph.

August 20, 2007 10:05 pm  
Blogger A home sewn, recycled,vintage life said...

sorry can't help with a recipe, I too have had major problems with slugs, snails and too much rain on my garden. Our allotment has suffered the most though, birds, rabbits and flooding have tried their best to ruin our crops:(

August 21, 2007 12:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a bummer. Hopefully next year's crop will be better.

August 21, 2007 3:45 pm  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I dont think I have ever tasted a tomatillo - hope it is yummy whatever you make!

August 21, 2007 9:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a lot of people have had the same problem - ours just rotted on the stalks. Good crop of beans though! How about a nice mozerella and tomato salad? Might need to add a few more tomatoes though!!!

August 22, 2007 8:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had some to taste! I so hope next summer will be better...the kitchen garden has been a disappointment this year :o( We've had two cocktail tomatoes to try, a few courgettes and salad leaves but that's it. Taste the delight while you can, as they come! Happy Day! :o)

August 22, 2007 10:33 am  
Blogger Stephanie said...

i have a wonderful recipe for white chicken chili which you could cut in half since it normally calls for four tomatillos...i could send it your way if you like. i'm sure you've already used them, but for future reference...

August 23, 2007 5:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry you didn't get much from your crop this year. I haven't even heard of tomatillos but I like the sound of them!

August 24, 2007 8:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home