Sunday, April 01, 2007

bag lady ...

a girl can never have too many bags can she? Well going on this premise being true, at least for me anyway I thought I would have a go at making this bag from Lotta's book.
It seemed a simple pattern - just cutting various blocks of varying sizes from an outer and a lining fabric. The instructions also seemed to be straight forward enough. So all in all a perfect Sunday afternoon project.

Well, I cut my pieces out alright - denim for the outside and an Amy Butler floral fabric for the lining. I decided I would line the little side pocket although the pattern doesn't call for this. I wish I had also lined the front pocket as the instructions regarding adding twill tape to the edge of this pocket is a little confusing - I ended up doing my own thing.
I wish I had also followed my gut instinct and added something to stiffen the base. Some heavy duty interfacing would have done the trick. The front and back panels would also benefit from some support but if the base was more rigid then they could get away with being a little floppy.

I would also make the handles ever so slightly longer so I could sling the bag over my shoulder if I wanted to.

Anyway, I'm off to make another of my dollie tote bags but different from the usual corduroy ones. What can I say, don't stop me, I'm on a roll - what a shame it's Sunday evening and its the start of another working week tomorrow.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And will you be modelling it tomorrow??

April 01, 2007 8:57 pm  
Blogger Ali said...

Oh you just can't beat a good sewing roll. I love your tote - the lining fabric is so pretty and spring-like.

April 01, 2007 9:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bag still looks wonderful to me!

April 01, 2007 9:29 pm  
Blogger PĂ©itseoga said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 01, 2007 9:55 pm  
Blogger PĂ©itseoga said...

Hm, I know what you mean about another work week looming... i'd love a 4 day weekend and a 3 day working week...

April 01, 2007 9:57 pm  
Blogger Rebecca said...

The bag looks great, maybe you could make a fabric covered insert from card or something to sit in the bottom?

April 01, 2007 10:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so nice! wow!

April 02, 2007 12:33 am  
Blogger Angel Jem said...

Cool bag... could you alter the straps now or are they too well integrated?

April 02, 2007 10:19 am  
Blogger Jade said...

What a great bag & liking the fabrics you used! Might have to peek at that book next time I'm at a book shop.

April 02, 2007 12:19 pm  
Blogger Tracy x said...

What a beautiful and useful bag - love the lining fabric x
Hope your working week turns out to be a great one!
Tracy x

April 02, 2007 4:32 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh it is lovely, I really like the fabric combination you have used, a lovely mix of pretty and utilitarian.

It is so hard to know sometimes isn't it? Often our gut instincts are right but I always assume the pattern is written the way it is for a reason and daren't take the risk, often kicking myself afterwards. You could always add a false bottom, I have done that to a couple of bags that didn't turn out quite as I wanted and it works really well, you can just add lining to interfacing or even use some template plastic for a really study bottom.

April 02, 2007 6:23 pm  
Blogger Penny said...

It looks like a nice bag, but it is frustrating when it doesn't quite match the bag in your mind.

April 02, 2007 6:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your bag looks great, I'm sure you will find it v useful.

April 03, 2007 9:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is seriously cute. A woman can never have two many shoes or bags.

April 03, 2007 4:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home