Saturday, September 29, 2007

today, I am mostly loving...

The new Joelle Hoverson book 'Last Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts'. It is full of some really lovely ideas and the photography is very inspiring. I have no particular plans to make anything from it, as yet, but I do feel it creating a ground swell of ideas.

Also on today's 'love' list is corduroy. A favourite autumnal fabric of mine and these colours (although the photo doesn't do them justice at all) are helping to turn that swell into a surge of creativity. I have found it incrediably hard to get back into the creative swing of things since my long hiatus over the summer but these fabrics and books do help to nudge me in the right direction.

Another thing that really helped was visiting a couple of galleries when in Norfolk. At the Bircham Gallery in Holt I spent my birthday money on an Angie Lewin print entitled "Totem". I just love looking at and find myself losing myself as I stare into it. Then at Big Blue Sky I loved browsing all the crafts and art for sale there. I discovered one particular crafts person whose work I fell in love with - Fran Squires who handprints fabric and then turns it into bags, aprons or tea towels and she also creates one-off framed works of fabric art. I could have bought lots of her stuff but I was a little strapped after buying the Angie Lewin print!

I am also loving my membership to the V&A especially with such fantastic exhibitions on at the moment. I've been to view the 'Art of Lee Miller' and have plans to go to the 'Golden Age of Couture' next week.

Ain't love just grand?

5 Comments:

Blogger dottycookie said...

That book arrived on my doorstep today too - it is really gorgeous. I particularly like the pink/yellow/white little girl quilt, and my two kissed the picture of Peanut the elephant so I think we may have a couple of those in the works too!

September 29, 2007 9:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no wait don't go!!! do you think we could catch that and the stitch show? I'd love to see that exhibition...

pretty please?

:)

September 29, 2007 10:11 pm  
Blogger tess said...

I've been looking at that book on amazon, it looks great, I wonder how long I'll be able to resist.

October 05, 2007 1:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got that book on my wish list at amazon, hoping someone would buy it for my birthday!

October 05, 2007 6:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm delurking. Lovely to read your catch-up posts and your new print is gorgeous.

Can I ask a question- do you buy your cord fabric online? I'm up in Newcastle and there is a very limited (one colour) selection at John Lewis.

Many thanks!

October 06, 2007 10:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home