Monday, October 08, 2007

the sewing gods were smiling ...

and the thread and needles were willing - so hey presto I have a new bag.It is based on the Lotta Jansdotter All Day Tote from her Simple Sewing book but with some changes. I had previously made one in denim following the directions in the book but there were some elements of it I wasn't totally happy with.So this time I added some heavyweight interfacing to make the bag slightly sturdier. It still has a slouchy feel to it which I like, it is just not too slouchy.

I also added a magnetic fastening to help keep the bag shut and to hopefully make it harder to dip.
The internal pocket has been made larger so that it can hold my mobile phone and iPod quite happily - I found the internal pocket on the original to be too small to be really useful. I also used iron-on interfacing on the inside of this pocket so that it holds its contents without flopping and dropping them into the bottom of the bag.
The water bottle pocket is still there as I find it very useful and also the key thingy is still there as I just love not having to scrabble around in the bottom of the bag trying to find my keys. There's nothing worse in the pouring rain than not being able to find your keys.

But gone is the funny pocket at the front of the bag which only seemed useful for carrying a strategically folded newspaper. In its place I have just added a large pocket that will quite happily take a paperback book.The bag is made from very bright pink cord that looks a lot more subdued in these photos - trust me you would certainly see me coming. It is all lined in a fabric from the Heather Bailey 'Freshcut' range. So there it is my 'Stand out in a Crowd' bag.

24 Comments:

Blogger Rebekah said...

cute bag! Your modifications to the bag are great and I might try making the Lotta bag with your changes in mind.

October 08, 2007 7:47 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

oooooh I like! I only just stumbled upon your blog and I also only just moved to Woking after having been in the US for 4 years. I was in New Malden today to do some Korean grocery shopping. If you ever want and have time to meet over a cup of tea, let me know. :)

Shin

October 08, 2007 8:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Fabulous bag, in such yummy colours!

October 08, 2007 10:11 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, great work. It's slouchy and boxy and pretty as well.
I love it!

October 09, 2007 5:07 am  
Blogger paper-and-string said...

wow, that is one fantastic bag! I love it and I love the changes you made, it looks much better with the interfacing me thinks :-)
xxx

October 09, 2007 7:58 am  
Blogger tess said...

love the bag, and the colour! Your modifications are great, I've just bought that book, so I know what to make first now!

October 09, 2007 9:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey cool! I won't miss you on Sunday!!!

October 09, 2007 11:51 am  
Blogger Angel Jem said...

Me likey!!!! (in Lola's words, rather than Lotta's) I think the pink is just the right shade to brighten up quite a few winter days, and I love the idea of the pocket for the paperback!

October 09, 2007 2:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful bag!

October 09, 2007 3:49 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love this bag!

October 09, 2007 4:01 pm  
Blogger dottycookie said...

I really like the modifications you've made. I've been wanting to make that bag but there's been something holding me back. I think your tips may be just what I need to get me cutting!

October 09, 2007 8:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love your bag. Super job! I really like the patterned lining you have used. :)

October 09, 2007 8:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a first timer here. I love your colour combo. I'm a bit scared of "nap" issues sewing with cord! I may have to try though as this looks so great!

October 10, 2007 1:44 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh it's gorgeous and I think your modifications are very sensible. I must get on with my own winter Lotta bag.

October 10, 2007 11:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your bag is beautiful, love the lining fabric.

October 11, 2007 9:57 am  
Blogger Chookyblue...... said...

great bag.....love the colours oyu have chosen also.........

October 11, 2007 11:14 am  
Blogger maggiegracecreates said...

love it

October 11, 2007 3:18 pm  
Blogger katie said...

that is really lovely! Pink is such a great colour - I especially like the key thing. And best of all I love bags that are plain on the outside and come to life inside - secretly!
job well done!

October 12, 2007 8:06 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is fabulous!!! And I think the colour is magnificent!

October 12, 2007 8:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a gorgeous bag.

October 14, 2007 12:41 pm  
Blogger Jenni-Raie said...

nice purse! that fabric is quite prettiful!

October 14, 2007 3:19 pm  
Blogger Joanna said...

the lining fabric is making me drool. Just got to your blog through ali's. The knit and stitch show sounds fantastic

October 18, 2007 9:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello it was an absolute pleasure to come across, and read your blog. You really have some interesting information that I will have to share with my wife. If your ever looking for fabrics Lauren & I would be more than willing to help. Just let us know. Have a great evening.

Josh & Lauren
www.trendyfabrics.com

October 26, 2007 2:05 am  
Blogger angharad handmade said...

Beautiful bag - I really want to buy that book now!

October 31, 2007 7:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home