Thursday, October 25, 2007

what a grey day ...

oh dear, the gorgeous sunny autumnal weather has disappeared today and left us with grey drizzly weather. So the only thing to do is settle down with a gorgeous cookery book and dream of plates of divine, warming, heartening food.

Today, I bought Tessa Kiros' book 'Apples for Jam' which I have been meaning to buy for so long now. Like so many others I fell head over heals for 'Falling Cloudberries' as much for the photos and family stories as for the recipes. In fact I haven't cooked anything from 'Cloudberries' despite it sitting on my shelf for a couple of years now but I do use her book 'Twelve' which is full of her Tuscan recipes.

Well, my mouth is just watering as I think of what to cook from 'Apples'. The weekend is my opportunity to do proper cooking and I love the whole planning and procuring process involved. At the moment I'm not sure which main course to choose but I am very taken with the idea of chocolate pannacotta for pud.Enough with all those food thoughts! I need to go and read through some work documents and decide whether to increase my working hours or not. As with everything there are pros and cons I've just got to see if the pros outweigh the cons. And whilst my thoughts are on books and bookshops I am fascinated reading these guys' blog and their exploits trying to set up an independent bookshop in Wood Green, North London.

And what can I say, it seems that we are all very much in the same boat as far as Royal Mail is concerned - isn't it an act of treason to tamper with and hinder the transit of the Queen's mail? I know treason is no longer a hanging offence but hmmmm...

6 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

That sounds like a tricky decision to make about work.

October 25, 2007 5:15 pm  
Blogger dottycookie said...

Ooooh, that pud looks good. I have the book too - and like you, I've done more reading of it than cooking from it. Somehow it's never the first book to fall off the shelf at dinnertime, but what I have made has been gorgeous.

Good luck with the work decision ...

October 25, 2007 9:29 pm  
Blogger Ali said...

I've had that book for about a year and still haven't got round to making anything from it. I just get absorbed in reading it and fail to make any mealtime decisions.

Hope you're more decisive about your work thoughts.

October 25, 2007 10:40 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've wanted that book for ages, I do have Falling Cloudberries and use it a great deal, does this mean that if I buy Apples for Jam I will not cook anything from it? Mind you, some cook books earn their shelf space on pictures alone...

Good luck with your big decision, those sort of choices are so difficult, sometimes I wish someone would just come and make them for me.

October 26, 2007 11:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want one of Tessa's books too, I am hoping I've been good enough this year and Santa will bring me one. I did ask for one last year but J got a bit confused and spent half an hour in W H Smith asking for Apples For Jan, then getting strange looks from the shop assistants!
BTW - my parcel turned up this morning at last, posted 1st class on 5th October. Don't give up hope yet.

October 26, 2007 2:42 pm  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I love the idea of cook books but rarely cook anything from them, nevertheless this one is on my christmas list!

October 26, 2007 8:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home