Monday, August 21, 2006

embroidery and embellishments ...


I decided the time had come that I really had to give embroidery a go. The last time I did any was at school when I had to embroider my name in chain stitch on an apron we had made in needlework classes. I also got my Brownie sewing badge (maybe it was called needlecraft) although Brown Owl was rather dismissive of my stitchery. So I know the rudiments but am very rusty. However, armed with this book, needles, thread and a few ideas I managed to produce a piece of work I am quite pleased with.

I went french knot mad - I finally figured out how to do them so I was damn well going to use them. I think it needs a little more work but in general I think I may stick with this embroidery lark - it's good fun.

In further developments ... it has been sometime since I sorted out my crafty little area and having lived with it for a while I realised it needed some refinement. And this is the result

Finally I have somewhere sensible to store my ribbon (it had previously been tucked away behind the little drawers on my desk which was a real nuisance as I had to keep moving them whenever I needed ribbon. I still need to add another pole to accommodate the final few rolls. I do have a lot of ribbon, it is all the same plain grosgrain just in different colours. I pick them up when I go to the John Smedley factory shop - at 3 rolls for £5 it is something that just can't be passed up.

6 Comments:

Blogger nuttnbunny said...

The embroidery is so lovely! Can't wait to see how it progresses... or where it lands :-)

August 22, 2006 1:47 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh your embroidery is lovely, are you going to frame it?
Do you recommend that book then? I am on the lookout for a good book, I am really enjoying getting into embroidery, makes me feel all Jane Austinish, I've started referring to the lounge as my "drawing room". Obviously the image is rather spoiled by the two smelly dogs sprawled on the sofas and the various bits of child debris scattered around.

August 22, 2006 8:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The embroidery is so lovely - you must be really pleased. I'd love to do some but I just don't think I can fit in another hobby just yet. Maybe when the dyeing obsession dies out! (sorry for the pun but it's late)

August 22, 2006 10:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea to store your ribbons! I have all of mine stuffed into a drawer and sometimes have to iron them before I use them. Clever :)

August 25, 2006 4:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your embroidery is wonderful, I love it! What are you doing with it?

August 28, 2006 12:25 am  
Blogger Maluhia said...

i love how you organized your ribbons. would you consider doing a trade for ribbons? or i can buy some from you if you are interested.

October 18, 2006 5:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home