Monday, August 07, 2006

greengages, plums and bikes...

at the supermarket today they finally had some English plums and they had some greengages too albeit French ones - but I couldn't resist I love them so much. I think I'll make some sort of plum tart in a couple of days time - if they aren't all eaten by then.

My big excitement, yes even bigger than the fruit, was that I got a bike on Saturday.

I haven't had a bike since I was about 14 but my husband and son have them and they have been off on adventures and picnics without me. So it was time to spoil their fun and get a bike and join in.

So on Sunday we cycled up to Richmond Park, around it and then back home - suffice to say I am a little tender in places today. But the cycle ride was lovely - the weather was warm and sunny and it provided a good opportunity to take the photo above. The grass was brown and tinder dry but the elderberries were ripening nicely as were the blackberries - it will soon be scrumping time.

Today on the other hand has been wet, cloudy, grey and very humid so all the washing I did yesterday evening and last night in anticipation of a fantastic drying day has stayed in the basket unable to be hung out. So I spent the morning just browsing through blogs and catching up with office admin and housekeeping. Nothing creative whatsoever - but I want to add these to my to do list and this debate has sparked some thoughts. I'm excited to learn of this move. And last but not least I have been reading all of Alicia's postings on whip-up about selling your stuff - my husband has started muttering that my craft should really start paying for itself.

Tomorrow come hell or high water I must endeavour to cross some items off my crafting to do list.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't sleep last night so I came down and made a to-do list too. It sort of gives me a focus and I love ticking things off when I've done them (sad or what). My husband moans too about my craft stuff but as it fills the understairs cupboard and most of the cupboards in the spare room oh and it's in my craftroom too - maybe he has a point. I feel I can justify all this because I do ocassionally sell stuff.
Sorry I have an opinion everything in this post of yours so onto the plums. We bought some yesterday and my daughter made a lovely plum pudding - plums sitting in an almond sponge. It was yummy and is from a current Waitrose recipe card.

August 07, 2006 7:30 pm  
Blogger Ali said...

Just been out for a walk and the wild plums are dropping off the trees, juicy and delicious. I'm going back on Wednesday with a bucket!

August 07, 2006 10:04 pm  
Blogger nuttnbunny said...

How I envy your bike! Been thinking of getting one too. Hope everyone wears a helmet. Been helping a dear friend recover from a terrible head injury from a fall from her bike - not a pretty picture. Really, there's no good reason to not wear one (I'm such a Mom :-)

August 09, 2006 5:44 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am anxiously awaiting my the ripening of my garden plums. I didn't know it was a plum tree (we moved here in October) and was so excited when I spotted them. Haven't had a greengage for years, loved them as a child, we had a garden tree, mmmmm.

Cute bike, I do hope you use it more than I use mine. I had to have it but.....

August 09, 2006 11:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home