Wednesday, August 23, 2006

pens and missions ...

Here is a prototype of a little project I have been working on, as I am fed up with ferreting in the bottom of my bag for pens.

It marks a turning point in my usual working practices as for the first time ever I have actually measured it all out and created a paper pattern. I usually use a fly by the seat of your pants method and hope to goodness it all works.

If I were using a commercial dress pattern I would always use the paper pattern and check I had laid it out correctly several times before making a cut. My approach to my own patterns is far more slap dash - well not anymore. The one thing I have found so motivating from the various blogs I read is the work ethic and degree of professionalism that the bloggers have in their approach to their work.

Of course it doesn't mean it ended up perfect. I wanted it to have a structured feel so used shirt collar stiffening rather than just interface. However, in a couple of areas there is a double thickness of it and so when it came to turning it right way round I just couldn't get the corners to look good.

I like the linen and the patchwork 'accents' on the exterior and interior, however, I think I would use bias binding around the edges - this would mean I don't have to worry about raw edges and my corners would look neater. I am also toying with the idea of a velcro fastening - I know the button is going to get ripped off in my bag.

On a completely different topic .... wayhay! my son completed his reading mission at the library and so he gets a medal!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its lovely! I do love the button detail though, it'd be a shame to lose it :). I never follow patterns, I think I am too lazy, but then I make lots of mistakes so thats probably why! Congrats to Noah and to you for encouraging him to do so well with his reading!

August 23, 2006 9:17 pm  
Blogger Ali said...

Wow - that's lovely - I really like the co-ordinating interior and exterior patchwork.

I'm trying to psych myself up to learn photoshop properly too - I can crop and do a few other basic things, but I know it's so much more powerful. I don't find it hugely intuitive though and I am a try it out and see what happens kind of learner - not a happy combination.

August 24, 2006 7:13 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh it looks lovely Caroline, the colours are really lovely, and it's beautifully finished.

August 24, 2006 7:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home