Wednesday, November 07, 2007

pannacotta and pastitsio ...

so I have now christened both 'Apples for Jam' and 'Falling Cloudberries' by Tessa Kiros.

We had a friend visiting for supper last night and for mains I opted to make the Pastitsio from 'FC'. It was a slightly bastardised version of the recipe in that I had to cut the amounts in half otherwise we would have had way too much for us to eat. I also opted to take some elements from the recipe for Pastitsio in the Waitrose magazine. So I added some chopped celery to melt down with the onions. And I added some grated pecorino to the breadcrumb topping.
It was very tasty and the recipe was written so clearly that I found no problems in making it. And more importantly it all got eaten hence no photos of the finished dish.

Then on to pudding and the chocolate pannacotta recipe came from 'A4J'. And again the recipe was clear and well written so that they were really easy to make. I was a little worried, because of the accuracy issue with the weighing of the leaf gelatine, that they may not set as I erred on the cautious side. But they turned out of their moulds easily and looked just like they do in the photo in the book. And they tasted gorgeous - very chocolately and really rather rich so the tartness of the raspberries helped to cut through beautifully.

So now I'm off to luxuriate in the bath and dream of which recipe I'm going to create next...

9 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

There's something about this time of year that gets the cookery juices flowing. Your dinner sounded/looked wonderful. Hey, maybe I'll get round to cooking something from A4J before the year is out.

November 07, 2007 9:42 pm  
Blogger Di said...

The chocolate panacotta looks fantastic!! I must try it!

November 07, 2007 10:04 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Wow - that panacotta looks delicious!

November 07, 2007 10:30 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oooh, I haven't made the pastitsio yet, but I remember noting it as one to try, you have nudged me, I will give it a go this weekend.

November 07, 2007 10:33 pm  
Blogger Katie Jean said...

that looks delish! I have to get that book!

November 08, 2007 3:00 pm  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I have just ordered both 'Apples for Jam' and 'Falling Cloudberries' (thanks to a great deal at 'the book people')

Looking forward to trying out some of these recipes.

November 08, 2007 7:28 pm  
Blogger dottycookie said...

Those books are great aren't they? I made the chocolate bread from Apples for Jam the other day and my children loved it - it's not overly sweet, it's definitely bread, but it fooled them! The apple loaf is good too, though I didn't scatter sugar over the top like she does. It went very well in a school lunchbox.

November 09, 2007 9:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum - I have these books on my wishlist!

November 11, 2007 9:58 am  
Blogger Suzanne said...

The panacotta looks fantastic, and pastitsio is my idea of comfort food. My daughter's ex-boyfriend's yia-yia made the best pastitsio ever.

Here's something to try. A local chef created a five course dinner paired with five different beers. The dessert was vanilla panacotta floating in Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss. It was fantastic.

December 15, 2007 11:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home